Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the cutoff frequency of the capacitively loaded Transmission line

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I connected a circuit like shown below. Let mtlines have length l, per unit inductance Ltl and capacitance Ctl, and capacitance C, what should be the formula for cutoff frequency?
CapCoupledTLine.png
In various books it is given that the cutoff frequency should be fc=1/(pi*sqrt(Ltl(Ctl+C/l))) but I don't see the same when I simulated. Thanks in advance.

In various books it is given that the cutoff frequency should be fc=1/(pi*sqrt(Ltl(Ctl+C/l)))
Generally wrong, although I don't know what book you read.

Your circuit is well-known capacitive discontinuity in uniform line.

but I don't see the same when I simulated.
What value do you set for reference impedance of ports ?

In various books it is given that the cutoff frequency should be fc=1/(pi*sqrt(Ltl(Ctl+C/l))) but I don't see the same when I simulated. Thanks in advance.

That's probably for an infinite cascade of embedded capacitors. I'm not sure how well one capacitor would reproduce this result. I would recommend to try additional periods and see of anything changes.

If mtline is setup as an ideal 50 ohm transmission line, the answer is very simple and you should be able to derive it yourself. Just a first order low pass with tau = c*Z0/2.

If mtline is setup as an ideal 50 ohm transmission line, the answer is very simple and you should be able to derive it yourself. Just a first order low pass with tau = c*Z0/2.
What happens if the Line is not 50 ohm. is the same equation applicable?

Surely not.You get reflections at the ports, the line length also matters, and the frequency characteristic is no longer monotone. Theres's no simple cutoff frequency formula applicable.

Theres's no simple cutoff frequency formula applicable.
Then when to use this formula fc=1/(pi*sqrt(Ltl(Ctl+C/l)))? which scenarios, line with infinite length ?

- - - Updated - - -

You must not use S-parameter
If the port impedances are 50 ohm (i.e, in matched condition) voltage gain is equal to power gain (S21). When the circuit is Linear, Pout(dBm)= S21(dB)+Pin(dBm). So it doesn't matter which one I am looking at, all should give same cut off frequency.

An example of Zline > Zport is shown below. How do you design cut-off frequency in this case?

line.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back