Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between two biquads shown in diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdesignerbeginner

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have two different biquad circuits. Fisrt biquad shown in the attached figure is a fully differential biaquad with four gm blocks while the second figure shows a single ended biquad with two gm blocks. I want to know why in the first circuit four gm blocks are used while in second circuit two gm blocks are used. A biquad can be designed using two gm blocks and two capacitors what is the reason of using four gm blocks in first ciruit? The difference is not the fully differential or single ended version. Second order biquad.jpg Transistor OTA.jpg

Both circuits implement different transfer functions. Why don't you calculate it?

Both circuits implement different transfer functions. Why don't you calculate it?

Thankyou for your reply. I have derived. Both are having same Transfer functions if all gms are same. Please see the attached. If same than what is the advantage of using four Gm blocks instead of two Gm BLOCK.
Gm-C.jpg

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You are right, I overlooked one short in the first circuit.

The answer is, fully differential is only possible in the four block topology.

Status
Not open for further replies.