Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rewinding toroidal transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tip35

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I had a toroidal transformer with 200VA power and 2x17Vac secondary. I needed a 30Vac secondary so I started to take off a few turns until the voltage of the 2 serial secondaries was at about 30Vac. After making this modification, I needed a 24Vac output, so I started again to reduce the voltage, using the same method, by removing turns, until I have got 24Vac. After this, I put back the wire until I got a 30Vac secondary, as it was initially, but now I also had 24Vac secondary and the 30Vac secondary.
So now, my transformer looks strange, but it works.
Now I want to use it at a power supply which needs 30Vac transformer and one 17V secondary.
The schematic of the transformer looks like this:
transformer schematic.png

And in the reality it looks like this:
the 2 red wires on the left are for the primary (230V) and the 3 red wire and the rest of the wires are the secondaries.
LwpdGlp.jpg

What would be the problems if I will continue to use the transformer as it is ?
I know that there will be a inequality between the windings, but I don't know to what will lead this inequality ?

As long as the total load stays within 200VA, you should be fine.

The problem with your question is that I cannot answer because I do not know the load currents.

For example, you may have problem if you want to connect a 200VA load to the 17V output (there will be lot of IR drop).

I would have cut the wire and made them independent windings so that you shall have more options.

The problem with your question is that I cannot answer because I do not know the load currents.
The maximum load current from the 30Vac secondary will be 3A and from the 17Vac secondary will be about 0.8A.
I will use the power supply to power resistive loads and inductive loads (motors).
On the 17Vac secondary, will be connected 3 x 12V 80mm fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back