Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Calculate Capacitance Value from Smith Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my simulation is hard to argue with too.

Here is the mistake in interpretation of your voltage divider experiment:

You expect the output voltage to be half the total voltage, because R and X are equal.

But that's wrong. The voltage divider gives R divided by total impedance, and that total impedance magnitude is sqrt(R2 + X2) in this case.

Last edited:

that total impedance magnitude is sqrt(R2 + X2)

And yes, I pointed out that formula entering the picture in my post #17. So let's see if things are clearing up. I compared more variations to see what happens.

At left, equal voltages appear across the 10pF and 77 ohm. As you state, they are not 1/2 source voltage.

The other layouts are 2 series capacitors, or 2 series resistors. Voltages are 1/2 source voltage.

compare series layouts RC CC 10pF  RR 70 ohms.png

I believe the RC arrangement above yields 3 dB drop at the rolloff frequency. Output is 0.707 x source voltage, whether taken across C or R.

at the 3dB freq the volts reduce to 0.707 across the C only ....

No, Brad ist correct: the magnitude of R and X are equal in his left testcase, and current is equal, so indeed there is 0.7V across each of the components. But these voltages have a 90° phase offset, so that the total voltage magnitude is sqrt (0.7V2 +0.7V2) = 1V

apologies - I must be so used to dealing with L & C, certainly the freq most quoted is when R = 1/ ( 2 pi f C ) so the impedances are the same at that freq.

- - - Updated - - -

as the freq goes up the volts decrease across the C - I was stuck on that thought too

Status
Not open for further replies.