Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Zener diode simulation problem using multisim 12.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_R

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am new to multisim and just started learning how to simulate basic circuits. I am using multisim 12.0.

I am trying to simulate a basic zener diode circuit and trying to observe the effect of changing the load resistance.
I believe this needs to be done using parameter sweep.
The problem I am facing is, in the parameter sweep window, I am not seeing my load resistor name in the drop down list of the component name I want to sweep. I am seeing r1:xrload, r1:xr1. r1:xr2, r2:xrload etc. At the same time, I am seeing that the present value of r1:xrload and r2:xrload is set to 5k. My load resistor value has been set to 10k in the schematic. Another peculiar thing is, I don't have any r2 resistor in my circuit. Could anyone kindly help me out regarding this? My questions are:

1) What are these r1:xrload, r1:xr1. r1:xr2, r2:xrload etc.
2) How is my rload value getting halved?
3) I have also looked at the netlist as well, and it shows 10000/2 there as well. Could anyone please tell me why?

I will really appreciate some help in understanding what's going on here. Thank you.

P.S. I have looked at the multisim forum and I couldn't find a relevant problem. The youtube tutorials also don't have such weird names in the name field.

I am attaching the screenshot herewith.

Additional circuit info:
Components used: DC_Power for voltage source, resistor_rated for r1 and rload, zener (virtual) for the zener diode.View attachment 156035

Last edited by a moderator:

param.pngparam.png

https://imgur.com/gallery/sRXpvzg

Sorry, please let me know if this works.

Did you try a similar circuit from the examples folder?

Did the same problem appear with simpler circuits? Say, a resistor and voltage source?

Once you get a simple circuit to work, then add components.

Yes, tried and failed. Same thing appears. I have scoured the multisim forum. From what I could find is that this expression should appear for the pots (with the wiper dividing the 2 resistors in the pots) which is weird as I have used the RESISTOR_RATED component and not the pot.
I have tried just a simple voltage source and a resistor. I am attaching the screenshot herewith.

Notice that r2 is appearing even though I have called only 1 resistor.
I should mention this that DC and transient analysis works perfectly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RkgXdD6
1.png

I do not know what you are trying to do.
1) You have a 5V Zener diode with no part number and no spec's. Nobody makes one but 5.1V is common so my calculations use 5.1V.
2) You are simulating sweeping the load resistance. Why?

I do not know if Multisim has a library full of Zener diode datasheets. A 1N5231B Zener diode is 5.1V only when its current is 20mA. At less current then its voltage is less. Around 0.25mA its voltage regulation is very poor.
You have a 16V supply and a 10k load. The load current is 5.1V/10k= 0.51mA. The current in the 470 ohm resistor is (16V-5.1V)/470 ohms= 23.2mA. Then the current in the Zener diode is 23.2mA - 0.51mA= 22.7mA so the voltage will be very close to the rated +-5% which is for a current of 20mA.

For such a low load current of only 0.5mA then I would use a Zener diode that is rated at a current less than 20mA like 5mA. A 1N5993B is 5.1V rated at 5mA then the resistor feeding it can be (16V - 5.1V)/5.5mA= 1982 ohms, use 2k ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back