Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Elementary battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGSchwei

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me how to charge this battery? I can't find any battery charger on the internet for this battery. If you know a place/url to buy this battery charger, I'd really appreciate it! I've looked all morning, and no luck. If you can copy and paste a link to an electronics company, you would save me about $500, and earn my lasting gratitude.

IMG_0406.JPGIMG_0405.JPG

It is a standard 18650 Lithium Ion battery. There are many chargers for it if you search with that number. There are three wires, one will be a common connection to the battery negative and a temperature sensor (probably the black wire), one will be the battery positive terminal (probably the red wire) and the other almost certainly goes to a thermistor for monitoring the temperature rise that occurs when charging and reaching full capacity.

Brian.

It is a standard 18650 Lithium Ion battery. There are many chargers for it if you search with that number. There are three wires, one will be a common connection to the battery negative and a temperature sensor (probably the black wire), one will be the battery positive terminal (probably the red wire) and the other almost certainly goes to a thermistor for monitoring the temperature rise that occurs when charging and reaching full capacity.

Temperature is not used to detect full charge in Li-Ion batteries- That can be done in NiCd and NiMh.
For Li-Ion, the temperature sensor is only for protection, to switch off the charger if something is wrong (the temperature too high or too low).

Full charge is detected by reaching a certain voltage and the current going below a certain limit.

Brian.

Thank you Brian. I guess the problem I'm having is that I don't know how to plug the JST connector into a charger. All of the chargers I've found do not seem to have a connector for a JST plug. Does this make sense?

The plug type is the choice of whoever designed the unit the battery is connected to, it isn't part of the battery itself. Almost certainly the red wire is the positive connection and the black one is the negative. If you can find a charger for an 18650 battery and attach to those wires it should work. I didn't tell you this because it would be frowned upon by my peers :blah: but the pins in the JST socket are the same size as the wires on a 0.5W resistor. Buy any resistor and chop it's legs off then poke them into the holes on the plug to make the connections.

Anonymous.

Perfect, worked like a charm, and I saved $500. Thanks again for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.