+ Post New Thread
    Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    13 / 13
    Level

FSK 1200baud discrete "modulators". What do you think?

Hi
    I want to investigate the possibility of making a discrete FSK 1200 baud modulator operating from 5v and connected to the TTL UART of an MCU. The circuits have to be made as simple as possible (fewer parts).
    Here are two of my rough ideas. I have tested the oscillator parts and they work and they can be varied nicely too.
    1200baud is a much higher speed than 300 and I do not know how well these will behave until I test them.

The first circuit uses 2 oscillators and a switch to switch audio outputs.
    The second circuit uses a single oscillator and a way to vary it's frequency.

I have thought that at 1200baud, varying the oscillator frequency might cause the oscillator not to be able to switch that fast from one frequency to the other (mark/space), so that is why I have designed the first circuit, which does not mess with the oscillator resonators at all, although I like the simplicity of the second one.

Any comments/suggestions would be valuable so as how to tackle the problem.
    Professional engineering is the top, but amateur engineering is more fun.
    It is when you cross the barrier between these two, that things become really fascinating!

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13876 / 13876
    Level

Re: FSK 1200baud discrete "modulators". What do you think?

At least at 1200 Baud, the oscillator phase need to synchronized with the data. That's not possible with the suggested circuit.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    13 / 13
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by FvM View Post
    At least at 1200 Baud, the oscillator phase need to synchronized with the data. That's not possible with the suggested circuit.
    I should have posted the whole "modem" block diagram before I got you into trouble. Here it is. The RX will use two narrow filters and a simple detector which will convert audio tones to voltage levels (data). I do not have any idea why the phase needs to be synchronized, but by just thinking logically, I thought it could be possible to work in such a simple arrangement.

- - - Updated - - -

I have found this document now. What I have thought for the receiver, is described in figure 15. It is a non-coherent detector. 1200baud-capable?
    It is when you cross the barrier between these two, that things become really fascinating!

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4470 / 4470
    Level

The problem is the frequencies are low compared to the data rate. A change to logic high or low is likely to result in partial cycles of the tone and hence all kinds of spurious other frequencies. Remember you are only selecting one cycle or almost two cycles of the tone per bit so you need to ensure the data only changes at a suitable point in the tone waveform.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

Advanced Member level 4
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    387 / 387
    Level

I don't think the phase must be synchronized with the data, but there should be no discontinuities, so switching between two different oscillators is a bad idea.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    13 / 13
    Level

Hm...
    So 3 basic problems have reported to me. One is the phase (which based on the paper, could be ignored with suitable detection scheme), the other is the effectiveness of the detector when talking about high speeds (1200 baud) and the third is the switching between marks and spaces, which must contain no "clicks".
    There may be another one, the codecs of the GSM which may make the system unusable through this network or maybe through every digital line.
    Last edited by neazoi; 10th October 2019 at 08:51.

--[[ ]]--