+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Detect the absence of sampled AC signal (from digital filter) in verilog

I want to write a code for a system which detects the absence of AC signal ,received after the digital filter (sampled @ 200khz).
    My ideas
    1. level detector - If level is zero - no ac signal.(I liked it the most but struggling to come up with logic)

2. Continuously measure frequency of signal,but would need to increment counter for 1 second ,then if the signal disappears I should be able to detect it immediately and not wait for one second to be over.

3. Peak to peak voltage - No Ac signal means zero P-P voltage.

4. edge detect the rise and fall - No edge will mean no ac signal but it will falsely detect during the time between edges.

5. Use a DAC and analog circuit for detection.()

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13871 / 13871
    Level

Re: Detect the absence of sampled AC signal (from digital filter) in verilog

You'll ask for the channel noise spectrum and AC signal characteristic to decide about an optimal detection algorithm.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3607 / 3607
    Level

Hi,

I canīt find a question ... and no problem.

How can we help?

Klaus
    Please donīt contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 3

Helped
    291 / 291
    Level

I wouldn't look at zero crossings because there will still be noise, perhaps AC mains pickup, when no signal is present. I've done this:

AC Signal -> First order IIR low pass -> Absolute value -> Peak detector with timing window greater than a period -> Threshold comparison

1 members found this post helpful.

Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

thank you for your reply. I am new to this. I am designing the filter for 50 Khz and 39 Khz separately. So what should be the timing window period be ? Should it be greater than 1/ (50 k) and 1/ 39k respectively or something else?
    I was thinking to use a matched filter with peak finder. What do you think about that?

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    1036 / 1036
    Level

If your signal has enough amplitude I would think that using the level detection method should be the easiest; noise shouldn't be an issue. What is your problem with the logic? Nothing could be easier:

If signal_amplitude<threshold==>NO SIGNAL

You could do something as simple as look at the signal for a fixed amount of time (number of samples) and see if it exceeds the threshold.

Advanced Member level 3

Helped
    291 / 291
    Level

Timing window can be anything greater than the period of the slowest signal in this case. I'm proposing a simple peak detector so it just needs to catch at least one peak. To be clear my logic is this:

Code:
    if (signal_in>peak)
      peak<= signal_in

if (period_strobe)
     peak_out<=peak;
     peak<=0;
    That's in a loop of course. Then compare peak_out to some threshold.

There are other alternatives. If its a synchronous system where your clock is also generating your output then you could use various simplified frequency domain filtering techniques. Run a DFT at your known frequency of interest for example (actually quite simple to do).

--[[ ]]--