Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Get phase precisely through longer sampling time

Status
Not open for further replies.

WengCheng

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
some months ago someone told me that it is a common approach to sample a sinusoid signal over a longer period of time to get the phase more accurately. Is it just calculating an average over the sampled phase information, or is there any other mathematical theory behind?
Is there any literature on this topic?

Hi,

someone told me
... then why not ask him?

From mathematics: You need just 3 samples (each 120° apart) to be able to calculate amplitude and phase precisely.

How precise?
It depends on the input values. If the input values are "ideal" then the phase and amplitiute values are "ideal", too.

Klaus

Hello,
some months ago someone told me that it is a common approach to sample a sinusoid signal over a longer period of time to get the phase more accurately. Is it just calculating an average over the sampled phase information, or is there any other mathematical theory behind?
Is there any literature on this topic?

Yes it's basically just averaging. All samples have noise. If you make a decision with a few samples it will be more likely wrong than making a decision with many samples.

In my experience 10-100 cycles is a good number with probably diminishing returns after that. Of course it depends on many other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back