Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tools to detect AC electric leakage/loss in home electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi.2k17

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

My home electricity consumption has suddenly increased two time for the past 2 months. not sure what is the cause. whether it is due to my new refrigerator, new invertr, battery or due to any other electrical leakage or theft. Is there any tool to detect such things for home electricity ?

thanks,
ravi

Sure. A clamp-on ammeter and your circuit breaker panel.
You can see current in each branch by turning off all but
one at a time, and follow the thread.

Depending on your environment you might also look at the
feed between your electric meter and your panel, sometimes
there's "electric piracy". Wires where wires didn't used to be,
like.

Sure. A clamp-on ammeter and your circuit breaker panel.
You can see current in each branch by turning off all but
one at a time, and follow the thread.

Depending on your environment you might also look at the
feed between your electric meter and your panel, sometimes
there's "electric piracy". Wires where wires didn't used to be,
like.

say if i have a problem in my invertor battery. which keeps charging even fully changed due to some technical error.
then how this can be detect using clamp-on meter?

You can measure current draw of some appliances, but other appliances have an On-Off cycle. Those could use some kind of time-logging device.

I tracked my refrigerator cycles with my VIC-20 computer. I constructed a homebrew circuit for detecting AC current which then sent a voltage to the computer's game port. I wrote a program to record On-Off events. After running a few hours it told me the appliance drew large current for a few minutes, then was off for several minutes.

I thought of attaching a voltage detector on the motor but I had no easy access. If you are careful around high voltage you might make a voltage detector which indicates status of water heater elements, or a furnace, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Another indicator is your electric utility meter. Maybe it has a rotating dial, or maybe a digital display. Watch how fast it advances to get an idea of your power usage.

To read AC current with your multimeter, insert a resistor in series, and measure AC voltage across it. I have several 1 ohm 10W resistors (rectangular sandstone type) which I connect in series or parallel, in order to create a low ohm value which permits a sensible reading. Usually I need to work fast because the resistors heat up quickly.

say if i have a problem in my invertor battery. which keeps charging even fully changed due to some technical error.
then how this can be detect using clamp-on meter?

For lead acid batteries I have used a tester like this one. IMG_4652.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Some more detailed information would be helpful. When you say battery inverter I assumed your home is solar powered.

If you are concerned about battery excess charging then
you need to know the proper charging voltage and see
if it's exceeded. Lead-acid charge controllers that are
"general purpose" (not dedicated to some specific battery
model) might well overcharge a small battery, depending
on it to "deal with the excess" rather than terminating
charge (like cars do - 14V, "just eat it").

But the problem might just be one of expectations.

You can get automotive aftermarket 12V ammeters that
could go on the battery "+" feed, and show you charge /
discharge currents. Maybe (or not) at the current range
you would see. Worth a look just for system monitoring
and maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.