Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about PC3.5mm and SMA connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

moro

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

i am about to build a test setup where i have a mobile contact head that has a cable with PC3.5mm (male) connection.

The measurment equipment has a SMA (feemale) connector.

So i am wondering if PC3.5mm are compatible with the SMA type connectors?

Can i connect the PC3.5 male to the SMA female?

3.5mm and SMA are mechanically compatible. The difference lies that 3.5mm uses air as dielectric material (or no dielectric material), so the operating frequency is higher than SMA. SMA has PVC like material as core, the mechanical stability is better than 3.5mm

3.5mm and SMA may be mechanically compatible, but for very precise measurements, connecting them results a small but measurable discontinuity.
A damaged or out of spec SMA connector can damage a 3.5mm (or 2.92mm) connector. Their air dielectric construction makes them fragile.

Good to know, with SMA's connectors the pin engages first and the threads second, when the 3.5mm (and 2.92mm) are the opposite,the threads mate first, pins second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back