Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about RF power meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

000SHREDDER000

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I want to build a new EMF meter but EMF meters are limited they can work around 60 hz, they can detect wider range but still not enough for me, so I wanted to change my direction and build a power meter for all range detection. Which diode is good for all bands or which kind of circuit? Any suggestions?

The grid dip meter is a useful instrument for radio enthusiasts. It's popular because it's possible to build your own from a few discrete components.

With a filter you can stop it from responding to ambient mains hum. Or you can plug in various coils in order to make it respond to a particular range of frequencies.

The grid dip meter is a useful instrument for radio enthusiasts. It's popular because it's possible to build your own from a few discrete components.

With a filter you can stop it from responding to ambient mains hum. Or you can plug in various coils in order to make it respond to a particular range of frequencies.
Thanks but I am not sure it's for x and gamma rays.

Thanks but I am not sure it's for x and gamma rays.
No it's not.

You have been asking for RF power meter. X or gamma rays aren't RF although they are all electromagnetic radiation. Visible light or heat radiation is also electromagnetic, but not detectable with antennas or "RF" detectors.

You should get at least a broad idea about the different ranges of electromagnetic spectrum and what kind of receivers can be suitable to detect one or the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

No it's not.

You have been asking for RF power meter. X or gamma rays aren't RF although they are all electromagnetic radiation. Visible light or heat radiation is also electromagnetic, but not detectable with antennas or "RF" detectors.

You should get at least a broad idea about the different ranges of electromagnetic spectrum and what kind of receivers can be suitable to detect one or the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

Really I didn't know what is gamma rays, thanks man. there is no need to playing with words, I said first EMF meter, It must be an RF meter too that's why I said RF meter also.

Maybe you start width designing an antenna for that bandwidth, then share your findings ;-)

Maybe you start width designing an antenna for that bandwidth, then share your findings ;-)
Cool, I know what's your point but noting is impossible bro, this thread is exactly for it so that's why I asked to others.

000SHREDDER000, we are not being obstructive or critical but you original question was very misleading. When you said you wanted a range wider than 60Hz people assume you are looking for something with slightly higher frequency capability. What you ask for in post #3 is for a bandwidth thousands of millions of time wider, way more than anyone was considering. The technology for measuring gamma rays is completely different to the technology for measuring 60Hz!

It was rather like you asked for an instrument to measure the thickness of a hair then afterwards said it also had to measure the width of the solar system.

Brian.

000SHREDDER000, we are not being obstructive or critical but you original question was very misleading. When you said you wanted a range wider than 60Hz people assume you are looking for something with slightly higher frequency capability. What you ask for in post #3 is for a bandwidth thousands of millions of time wider, way more than anyone was considering. The technology for measuring gamma rays is completely different to the technology for measuring 60Hz!

It was rather like you asked for an instrument to measure the thickness of a hair then afterwards said it also had to measure the width of the solar system.

Brian.
Exactly that's why I am here.
I know it's uncommon but my information is so much lower than you that's why I asked here for finding an answer. It's possible or not.

emf meters on the market have separate detectors for low frequency magnetic field (coils), low frequency electric field (high impedance sensor) and MHz to GHz RF. To detect ionizing radiation like X- and gamma rays, you need a Geiger-Mueller tube.

emf meters on the market have separate detectors for low frequency magnetic field (coils), low frequency electric field (high impedance sensor) and MHz to GHz RF. To detect ionizing radiation like X- and gamma rays, you need a Geiger-Mueller tube.
I know about it but geiger tube are only for gamma and x-rays. I heard about some of RF circuits that they can detect gamma rays also so I think it's possible without giger tubes.

I know about it but geiger tube are only for gamma and x-rays. I heard about some of RF circuits that they can detect gamma rays also so I think it's possible without giger tubes.

That is incorrect

you have been told you need a Geiger tube for gamma rays as you are dealing with particles, NOT a RF or EMF emission
X-ray detection is difficult, I am not sure a Geiger tube will do that … I know my one definitely doesn't

Geiger tubes are for Alpha, Beta and gamma detection

- - - Updated - - -

It is not circuits.

What band of frequency do you want to detect ?

no bands of frequencies … he wants to detect gamma rays and X-rays

- - - Updated - - -

well google knows better …..

Geiger counters are widely used to detect gamma radiation and X-rays collectively known as photons, and for this the windowless tube is used.
However, detection efficiency is low compared to alpha and beta particles. The article on the Geiger–Müller tube carries a more detailed account
of the techniques used to detect photon radiation.

So maybe mine will :grin: :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back