Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART TX signalling from another process

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all my post readers,

I am very new to FPGA, a weak ago started playing with a spartan 6. (Papilio pro). Now connected a 320x240 LCD to it and planning to do something with that as a hello world. I have a decent experience on electronics hardware, digital circuits and embedded firmware development. But first time with FPGA. Learning VHDL now.

I started with some documents and getting started guide from Papilio website.
Now able to understand the vhdl and it's syntax to an extent.

I did a small UART TX as my first program. It is working fine.

Now I want to keep that UART TX as a function equivalent. I want to keep that uart_tx: process(CLK) as a module and from another process I want to trigger the UART stat state machine.

I am able to trigger from external process by setting a 1 bit signal variable. I can read it from uart_tx process but I cannot clear it from there because yes two processes cannot asynchronously write to a single signal, I can imagine this.

So generally how people do this ?

Because I want to keep the UART TX isolated from other code and don't want to write anything inside that process. And if possible I want to keep it as a seperate file aswell so that I can invoke transmit trigger and set transmit byte from other vhdl file or other process in same file.

I can think of another option which is something like keeping two counter incrementing (at least 1 bit or higher) so that I just need to increment both counters on sending trigger(from main process) and sent complete response (from uart_tx process/uart seperate tx library file). But I am sure this may be a dirty way.

Can someone throw some light? :)

Also I have another question, all independent statements under a process will happen parallel and dependent things will follow sequential. Is this correct?

A bit difficult to visualise from an embedded programmer point of view.

Syncrhonizers are used to transfer a signal between clock domains.

Assuming that the UART and your trigger code are using different clock domains:

trigger code -> trigger signal -> synchronizer -> UART code

UART clear -> synchronizer -> trigger clear -> trigger code

Also I have another question, all independent statements under a process will happen parallel and dependent things will follow sequential. Is this correct?

A bit difficult to visualise from an embedded programmer point of view.
VHDL is a hardware description language so much of the software paradigm does not translate directly

Statements in a CLOCKED process will have the RHS of the statements evaluated and the LHS will be updated when the process suspends.
Combonational processes will be entered any time a signal in the sensitivity list is updated. Statements in the process are in order of their appearance from what I remember from the LRM.

I avoid writing code that requires order of statement execution in a process to work correctly, that is the coding style that many SW coders seem to gravitate towards as it is more inline with the software paradigm they are familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back