Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding vibration resistance specification impact on HW design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ku637

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
For a new design there is a vibration resistance specification of 7G 1000Hz log sweep 15 min/reciprocation duration 20hour.
I'm really new to vibration specs.

May i know how these spec can impact my HW board/circuit design.

I understand for connectors -locable type, Thorugh hole , Flat Ribbon cable may withstand vibration better
and all the big parts (like aluminium electrolytic caps) may be glued to PCB.
And adequate mounting holes for PCB support need to be provided.

Also any other impact of this spec w.r.t other parts selection ? like MCU crystals etc?

Also is this spec on little higher side than what is generally given- my current application is a Motor Drive Circuit

Thanks for any help

This is an interesting topic regarding theory, but as hundreds more that I have see in this forum, no one asking the right questions.

If you need to follow specific compliance, the next question is which test and measurement equipment this is suitable to confirm it?

1000Hz this is 1 KHz and this is vibration in the range of audible sound waves.
If you were at product design of one cross-over for Hi-Fi speakers, you will had more work to do about verifying that your circuit it can survive stress caused not just by a variety of frequencies’ and of their harmonics, but also at the max power which the speaker it self it can deliver.

A proper research will not start from components dimensions and shape, but from the quality of soldering material which can keep the components on the PCB under strong vibrations.

There is a mil spec that covers how much weight is allowed per pin for vibration, I cant remember the figure and can't find my specification at the moment..
Component shape and dimensions can give a good indication of how a component will react under vibration, SMD electrolytic caps are often found in the bottom of the case after vibrartion testing, as are some ferrites.
The test is covered 7G acceleleration 1000Hz log sweep...
https://www.desolutions.com/blog/2013/04/sinusoidal-and-random-vibration-testing-primer/

There is a mil spec that covers how much weight is allowed per pin for vibration, I cant remember the figure and can't find my specification at the moment..

Generally speaking all compliance specifications they are goods that you have to buy from IEC or other organizations.
At my humble example with the loudspeaker cross-over at dancing room, also after misuse you will find capacitors and coils at the bottom of the case.
I was putting them back in place. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back