Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing 10K lineat potentiometer to 1K, what about lineatity then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I have a 10k linear potentiometer with center detent (lock).
If I connect a 1k parallel resistor to the potentiometer ends (carbon track ends), I could in theory reduce the value of the potentiometer to 1k.

But happens to the linearity of the potentiometer then as I move the wiper?

For example, assuming a constant speed wiper movement from one end all the way to the other, will the resistance rate change more at the ends and less at the center of it, or the other way round?

it will be non linear.
upto 10% of the initial travel , the resistance rate changes(between the wiper and common) will be low.
beyond that it will be more upto the top end.

it will be non linear.
upto 10% of the initial travel , the resistance rate changes(between the wiper and common) will be low.
beyond that it will be more upto the top end.
are you sure? This is the circuit. The mentioned linear pot/resistance will replace the 47k log one in the circuit.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 161

the nonlinearity is valid .there may be variation in the point at which the rate changes.

your circuit has 47k log pot.
but trying to replace it with 10k linear pot and 1k resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.