Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BLDC motor delta winding

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishjay

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to measure phase voltage of bldc motor which is having delta connected system. Since there is no ground terminal in delta. I am confused to measure the phase voltage of motor with oscilloscope. Can anyone tell me how to connect the channel probes to measure phase voltage of delta connected motor?

phase voltage is line voltage in delta connection.

Can you tell me how i can connect oscilloscope probe pins on motor phases?

Create a virtual ground from 3 resistors (say 100k ohms).

1) Join one end of all resistors, in a Y shape. At center is your oscilloscope ground.

2) Connect the other ends to the 3 nodes of your system.

3 resistors form virtual ground for scope readings of 3-phase delta.png

Phase differences can be observed (120 degrees) as displayed by scope traces. However waveform peaks do not coincide, since you're not directly reading generator voltages.

I have to connect the coincident point of resistor to gnd pin of scope. But do I have to connect the other ends of resistors to three phases and three oscilloscope channel probes?

Is your scope dual channel? The obvious (and direct) hookup is to ground the scope at one node of the delta, and probe the other two nodes. The scope ought to have an isolated power supply.

As an alternative it might be possible to trigger a sweep externally at one node, while probing the other nodes.

Consider making a lissajous figure via XY plot.

Of course such tactics are less than ideal since you're only seeing two generators in reference to the third, yet you don't see the third generator. (That is why I suggested the idea of creating one reference from 3 resistors.)

A 3-channel scope is best if you plan to work longterm with 3-phase.

Or read from optoisolators across each of the 3 generators. This may be the safest method because such a circuit can have its own power supply, run on low voltage. To verify proper current direction in each generator, install 2 optoisolators anti-parallel (6 detectors total).

Consider adding a channel to your scope. I turned my one-channel scope into a dual-channel, by admitting two signals one at a time, through a switching circuit made from a 4066 IC. Each signal has a potentiometer which attenuates and another potentiometer to level shift up or down. It's quirky to make it work right. 70kHz is about the maximum switching speed before the signals become hard to distinguish.

Hi,

Please tell us more.

You say you want to measure phase voltage.
--> Why?
Do you expect some unsymmetries?
* if yes, then the virtual star point method does not work. You need the true star point.
* if no, then simply measure delta voltage and divide it by sqrt(3)

Klaus

Hi klaus,
Yes, i am expecting some unsymmetries in output phase voltages. Since there is no gnd terminal in delta, i am confused to measure phase voltage and how to connect probes?

Hi,

Now you say "output" voltage.
But for a motor the voltage is the input.

Thus I assume you want to test your control electronics.
If so: You should have told us earlier.
--> Try to generate V_bus/2 as measurement reference.

Btw: with "unsymmetries" I meant motor winding unsymmetries (before you only talked about motor)
Generated voltage unsymmetries can be measured/seen "phase to phase", too.

Klaus

I meant i want to see the motor phase voltages for our delta connected motor. The three wires out from the motor, but there is no neutral wire. So i am asking how to see how the phases are reacting while motor runs.

Hi,

Still unclear.
You want to see unsymmetries.

What causes those unsymmetries? The motor or the control unit?

Klaus

So i am asking how to see how the phases are reacting while motor runs.

I do not see any problem with the scheme outlined in post #4. Basically you will see waveforms of phase 1 and 2 and 3 (provided the phases do not change very rapidly).

You need to see the waveforms phase 1,2 and 3 before and after connecting the load. If phase relations are off by more than 10-20deg (vs expected), you need to dig deeper.

Once you get the results, and if they are not as expected, you need to worry. Phases are relative and if the relative phases are not offset by 120 and 240degs without load (and with load), there may be additional problems.

The virtual ground approach (as seen in #4) should work in most cases if the phases are not changing rapidly (within 1/2 cycle).

Create a virtual ground from 3 resistors (say 100k ohms).

1) Join one end of all resistors, in a Y shape. At center is your oscilloscope ground.

2) Connect the other ends to the 3 nodes of your system.

View attachment 155785

Phase differences can be observed (120 degrees) as displayed by scope traces. However waveform peaks do not coincide, since you're not directly reading generator voltages.

Can i connect power resistors in Y shape? Is it ok?

Hi,

Can i connect power resistors in Y shape? Is it ok?
For sure.
Your control unit is not able to decide whether the load is in delta or star connection (besides the magnitude of the current)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back