Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to make use of an .h file in my vhdl code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar0182

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Comment that I am trying to translate a verilog file to vhdl, but so far I am having trouble using an .h file in my vhdl code.
Someone who can help me with this problem please, leave the verilog code attached.

Attachments

• g1_mmcme2_drp.rar
    6 KB · Views: 81

I haven't looked at your files, but VHDL doesn't support include files.
You should put common stuff in a package, which you then can use in any module.

Could you please explain how I include this .h file to my code through a package or library?

Could you please explain how I include this .h file to my code through a package or library?
by writing a VHDL package file and then including it using the following line at the top of the file (along with the ieee libararies)

Code VHDL - [expand]
--assuming it my_package.vhd is compiled to the work library
use work.my_package.all;

If you didn't know that is how you include a package then you should probably read a VHDL tutorial or VHDL book first.

.h (and verilog vh or svh files) files are usually included via use of a pre-processor that simply dumps the contents of the included file into the source file where they are included before the source is actually compiled.
VHDL has no pre-processor to do this, instead all code needs to be compiled into its own design unit (package or entity), where it becomes part of a library.

There are many tutorials out there that explain how this works.

An alternative way is to copy the *.h file content to the Verilog code before translating to vhdl. There's no need to have a separate file.

Putting the code into a vhdl package can make sense, but due to the different concept it's no strictly a one to one translation.

Do you suggest that you translate my .h file to vhdl so that it can be included in my code as a library?

It wouldnt be included as a libarary - a library is a collection of design units. It would be included as a package, that is compiled as a design unit into a library.

I would suggest that you write a package, translating from the .h file. Or as FvM suggested, just include it straight ion the design file.

When I include it directly, it gives me the following error shown in the attached image.

package_inc_error.PNG

Of course it does, because it is Verilog code, and hasnt been compiled. So it is neither a package or in a library.
You need to manually re-write it in VHDL yourself. a .h file is NOT a VHDL package - it is some text in a file on the hard disk.

Okay, if there is no other way, I will start translating my .h file to vhdl.
Another question I have is the use of "initial begin" in verilog. Is there any equivalent in vhdl for this?

Yes an no.
I suggest you learn VHDL from a tutorial.

Ok, thank you very much for the help

Okay, if there is no other way, I will start translating my .h file to vhdl.
Another question I have is the use of "initial begin" in verilog. Is there any equivalent in vhdl for this?
IMO, if someone is using an initial block in synthesizable code then I would suspect the code to be less than quality code (i.e. it's probably garbage).

If you require that something in the RTL starts up at a particular value then use a reset and set it to that value during reset. Initial blocks should only be used in a testbench for simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.