Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LT3741 DCDC Buck Converter operating failure diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

seweihe

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone.

Background:
I'm a final year Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering Student at the University of Cape Town and was tasked with designing a buck converter for a hexapod robot project amongst other things. Decided to use the LT3741 IC (https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/37411fg.pdf) since it met the requirements of the system.
The buck convert should take 25V to 17V as an input from the battery and output 15V to the servos of the hexapod. The motors draw up to 8A maximum from prior testing and hence proceeded to add a bit of a safety margin and design with peak current draws of 10A. I then followed the design instructions of the datasheet pretty closely and created a document based on these instructions. Then proceeded to simulate the circuit in LTSpice and got it to operate as desired. After getting this working I drew up the schematic for the pcb along with a 5V buck converter and designed the PCB. Documentation regarding the design can be found attached including the calculations based on the datasheet as well as the schematic and PCB layout. I had the PCB layout looked over by a technical advisor in the department and he did not recognize any flaws based on his experience designing PCB's. I hence had the PCB's manufactured and components sourced and assembled the PCB.

Problem:
The buck converter using the LT3741 is not functioning correctly under load. Under no load the output is 15V and the waveforms at points in the circuit are as expected. When I apply a load the output voltage drops significantly and the switching breaks down periodically. When removing the load the buck converter remains in this unstable state. I have found a means of getting it back to normal operation by bridging my finger across the switching node and the RT pin(has a programming resistor connected to it for the oscillator that controls the switching frequency of the device) of the LT3741. Applying my finger across these points under load helps up to a point but once the current draw becomes higher the chip operates in the unstable state again. Looking at the RT pin on the oscilloscope quite large voltage spikes appear once in the unstable state as shown in these images.
IMG_20190912_172530.jpg
IMG_20190913_094640.jpg
IMG_20190913_095009.jpg
Some examples of the unstable waveforms at the switching node are:
IMG_20190920_124511.jpg
IMG_20190920_122207.jpg
IMG_20190920_112513.jpg
The output to the gates of the MOSFETs have similar waveforms:
IMG_20190910_171410.jpg

Fixes I've tried:
-Adding a polymer cap to VCC_int capacitor (CVCC) to reduce capacitor ESR. The datasheet mentions this is important to reduce internal noise within the LT3741.
-Increasing Cin capacitor.

Possible Issues I've identified:
-the inductor is perhaps incorrectly sized at 4.7uH and perhaps a 3.3uH inductor would be more suitable.
-my PCB layout is absolutely terrible and there is too much noise being produced with the layout of the inductor and main traces close to the LT3741 and RT pin.

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions to fix this as well as any in-depth opinions on what the failure is with the design. Unfortunately, I've taught myself how to design PCB's for my final year project and luckily the other 3 I've designed have worked out but after a week of trying to problem solve the issue, I'm finding myself in need of some expert electrical engineering advice. Apologies for the long post, I was trying to provide as much information as possible with regard to the issue. Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to help.

Attachments

• DC-DC Buck Converter Calculations 20-09-2019.pdf
    896.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Hexapod DC-DC converter schematic.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Hexapod PCB_DC-DC-Converter_Top.png
    Hexapod PCB_DC-DC-Converter_Top.png
    449.6 KB · Views: 273
  • Hexapod PCB_DC-DC-Converter_Bottom.png
    Hexapod PCB_DC-DC-Converter_Bottom.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Hexapod DC-DC Top View Graphical.png
    Hexapod DC-DC Top View Graphical.png
    492.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Hexapod DC-DC Bottom View Graphical.png
    Hexapod DC-DC Bottom View Graphical.png
    408.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20190910_120030.jpg
    IMG_20190910_120030.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20190913_164013.jpg
    IMG_20190913_164013.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 202

Add a 10k resistor between gate - soruce of each MOS.
Add few 0.1micro ceramic caps on pin Vin of controller.
Try to start at lower frequency (200-250kHz) and low load and if no oscillation, increase freq and check at what freq start again.
What kind of motor use? Brushed? With a resistive load have same oscillations?
If brushed, add one a ultra-fast diode antiparallel motor, a ceramic cap of about 10nF/50V at least.

Been testing it on a resistive load. I will try your suggestions tomorrow and report back on what the outcome is. Thanks

Hi,

What exact types of electrolytic capacitors do you use?
Especially CVCC and CIN.
(Btw: please use standard part naming like C1, C2, instead of CVCC...)

And I don't like the pot in the voltage feedback path.
I don't konw if this is the problem, but try a chip resistor....maybe a 100pF capacitor in parallel.

And my personal taste: I don't like the GND to be split in two layers. Two "non optimal" layers.
I'd rather use only one GND layer, but optimized. A true GND plane.

Klaus

4.7uH seems small.... try 100kHz and 47uH

- - - Updated - - -

you need 1uF MLCC right by the Vcc on the chip too - I see it goes down to 200kHz - try there with 15uH ...

- - - Updated - - -

the drum choke might be affecting the chip - usually/often self shielded SMT chokes are used ...

Thanks everyone for the help.
I tried all the possible quick fixes above (10k resistors between gate and source, resistor and capacitor instead of trimmer pot, 1uf MLCC by Vcc, 0.1uF ceramic on Vin) and saw no improvement. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to order new components and keep on testing. I'm guessing that the layout, inductor and non-optimized grounding is the issue. I'm going to resort to purchasing a converter from a local supplier. It won't meet the desired specifications from my supervisor but will do the job.

Problem is ringing of motor inductance on turn-off buck higher MOS (when lower MOS is on) because circuit is not dummped... fastest test, add a resistor 100-150ohm parallel with motor.
Do you added diode and cap parallel with motor?

Problem is ringing of motor inductance on turn-off buck higher MOS (when lower MOS is on) because circuit is not dummped... fastest test, add a resistor 100-150ohm parallel with motor.
Do you added diode and cap parallel with motor?

I only tested the circuit on a resistive load as previously mentioned, but thanks for trying to help.

Ok, I see now...
Ringing is about 3.5MHz, L2 with Coss Q2 || parasitic capacitance of switching node. No resistance in circuit so very small dammping factor.
May try to add a 100ohm/3W resistor parallel with L2.

Status
Not open for further replies.