Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have a question about PCB recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timuring

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everyone!
I have a question about PCB recycling these days.
As we all know, recycling PCBs is challenging because a PCB contains several different chemicals,metals and glass fibers. The recycling of these materials is important no matter for waste reduction or recovering scarce materials.
So this got me thinking about whether the PCB could be recycled? If can, is 100% recyclable?

So this got me thinking about whether the PCB could be recycled? If can, is 100% recyclable?

The metals are reusable; copper, gold, palladium and nickel. I have been told that the amount of gold present in waste PCBs is more than that present in common ores.

The epoxy (thermoset plastic part) and the glass fiber (silicate mineral) are not possible to recycle in the current technology.

If the PCB has not been loaded with components, there is no toxic metal present. Else lead can be a hazard. Often components are physically removed from used boards before the metals are recovered.

By weight, metals form about 1% of the total PCB.

You cannot recycle or reuse unpopulated PCBs. It is easier to pull out PCB components and reuse them and retrieve mental from a PCB. However, the PCB manufacturing industry is far from finding a permanent solution for complete PCB recycling. The strong commitment from PCB manufacturers will change the future for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back