Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB PD Lab Power Supply, flyback- vs forward-converter, pro's vs con's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I have what I think is a pretty neat idea, the latest laptop I bought feature a USB Type-C port which supports USB Power Delivery(USB PD)(my port is actually a Thunderbolt 3 port but it is compatible with USB 3.1 Gen 2 & USB PD, but let's not get into all that stuff) which means the such a port is capable of supplying up to 20V @ 5A or 100W of power.

I have made a picture to show what I have in mind:
usb pd power supply concept.png

That is obviously a very simplified concept picture but it only shows my intention at large, I might go for using TI C2000 microcontrollers for the converters.

In any case, I have been reading about flyback- vs forward-converters and it appears to me that a forward-converter is what is most suitable for me, a two-switch forward converter that is, due to the lower output ripple, but there are so many considerations that I can't remember them all.

But I want to ask, is there any difference in the difficulties in successfully designing a flyback- vs forward-converter? Is the feedback compensation more difficult in a flyback converter?

As far as I can understand the two-switch forward converter is limited to duty-cycles below 50%, though I don't really grasp the implications of that, I mean as long as I choose a suitable turns-ratio that shouldn't be a problem right?

Regards
(I feel as though I am forgetting to ask the main question motivating this thread but I can't recall it..)

- - - Updated - - -

I have lost the picture I intended to post, the two channels are isolated and they should each be able to handle 3A output in case only one is used. I shouldn't have posted right now, I feel as though I have forgotten all the main points I wanted to describe.

Weigh the risk if you attach homebrew circuits to your computer's USB port. You could ruin it. Switched-coil supplies are the type that ought to have a snubber, due to indcutive spikes.

Another question is how much current you can get immediately from your USB. There's a protocol called enumeration. If a device does not complete it, then the port only provides 130 mA. It was that way not so long ago, maybe it's changed.

which means the such a port is capable of supplying up to 20V @ 5A or 100W of power.....

I have to ask: an USB port is capable of providing 20 volts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.