Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Initial Equipment for a startup company a Electrical meters R&D Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

kastella

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to purchase some initial equipment for a small starting business, where i'll need to start developing electrical meters ( Single 240VAC/ Three Phase 380VAC ) eventually commercially. Electricity meters mainly consist of several aspects of electronics such as :

1. Microcontroller and digital circuits probably not very high speed at most 60 MHz .
2. Metrology part which is responsible in capturing and doing most of the headaches and the way i see it , it can be treated like sensitive ADCs .
3. Power supply (AC/DC) & DC/DC flyback PSU .
4. Communication module such as RS485 , UART , Ethernet and PLC(Power Line Communication).

At the top of my head i thinking that i will need the following :

1. Oscilloscope 100 MHz Bandwidth 1 GS/s maybe 4 channels ( I'm leaning towards Siglent product lines, if there is something better I'm all ears) .
2. Logic Analyzer ( Salae Logic 8 ) to decode SPI , I2C , RS485 , UART .
3. Differential probes ( Never used them but from several searches and videos recommend to use them in power supply designs , am i right ?) .
4. A waveform generator (any suggestions ?)
5. An LCR meter maybe ? (any suggestions ? )
6. An Bench power supply ( any suggestions ? )
7. A good True RMS DMM

Right now i have several electricity meters that work on a test bench, to me as a hardware guy i'm thinking to this is useful to install the prototype hardware next to it and compare performance. But right now i'm feeling a bit lost. I would really appreciate if something with a bit of experience in the field ( maybe instrumentation ? ) could point out to any alternative equipment recommendations that I should check out? Anything major I am forgetting other than hand tools, etc

Note1: I'm always open to suggestions and constantly reading and learning anything as i go, so please be gentle.
Note2: If someone needs to know what standards will be to comply with :

1. IEC62055-31 (Relay)(Meter)
2. IEC62052-11
3. EN50470-3

Background about me: I'm an ECE and i've been working on low voltage designs 12V,5V & 3.3V for some time so my experience in AC circuits is so-so, i'll get there.

If you are developing offline flybacks, then i woudl get your self an isolation transformer or an isolated AC source to power them with in development.....preferably a variable AC source so that you can see how it operates over the mains range. Also, its nasty getting electric shocks off nonisolated mains.

Also, 100:1 probes are useful.........you dont have to use a diff probe if your ac source is isolated....but you do need diff probes to take multiple measurements when each voltage is referred to a different ground, because as you know, the scope ground at each scope probe connection point is at earth potential

Status
Not open for further replies.