+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Initial Equipment for a startup company a Electrical meters R&D Lab

I need to purchase some initial equipment for a small starting business, where i'll need to start developing electrical meters ( Single 240VAC/ Three Phase 380VAC ) eventually commercially. Electricity meters mainly consist of several aspects of electronics such as :

1. Microcontroller and digital circuits probably not very high speed at most 60 MHz .
    2. Metrology part which is responsible in capturing and doing most of the headaches and the way i see it , it can be treated like sensitive ADCs .
    3. Power supply (AC/DC) & DC/DC flyback PSU .
    4. Communication module such as RS485 , UART , Ethernet and PLC(Power Line Communication).

At the top of my head i thinking that i will need the following :

1. Oscilloscope 100 MHz Bandwidth 1 GS/s maybe 4 channels ( I'm leaning towards Siglent product lines, if there is something better I'm all ears) .
    2. Logic Analyzer ( Salae Logic 8 ) to decode SPI , I2C , RS485 , UART .
    3. Differential probes ( Never used them but from several searches and videos recommend to use them in power supply designs , am i right ?) .
    4. A waveform generator (any suggestions ?)
    5. An LCR meter maybe ? (any suggestions ? )
    6. An Bench power supply ( any suggestions ? )
    7. A good True RMS DMM

Right now i have several electricity meters that work on a test bench, to me as a hardware guy i'm thinking to this is useful to install the prototype hardware next to it and compare performance. But right now i'm feeling a bit lost. I would really appreciate if something with a bit of experience in the field ( maybe instrumentation ? ) could point out to any alternative equipment recommendations that I should check out? Anything major I am forgetting other than hand tools, etc

Note1: I'm always open to suggestions and constantly reading and learning anything as i go, so please be gentle.
    Note2: If someone needs to know what standards will be to comply with :

1. IEC62055-31 (Relay)(Meter)
    2. IEC62052-11
    3. EN50470-3

Background about me: I'm an ECE and i've been working on low voltage designs 12V,5V & 3.3V for some time so my experience in AC circuits is so-so, i'll get there.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    498 / 498
    Level

Re: Initial Equipment for a startup company a Electrical meters R&D Lab

If you are developing offline flybacks, then i woudl get your self an isolation transformer or an isolated AC source to power them with in development.....preferably a variable AC source so that you can see how it operates over the mains range. Also, its nasty getting electric shocks off nonisolated mains.

Also, 100:1 probes are useful.........you dont have to use a diff probe if your ac source is isolated....but you do need diff probes to take multiple measurements when each voltage is referred to a different ground, because as you know, the scope ground at each scope probe connection point is at earth potential

--[[ ]]--