Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How good is ultiboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogoos

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i have a general question about Ultiboard:

How good is the auto-routing function compared with other auto-routers?

I ask this for different reasons. I have tried to route 0.5mm SMD chips using 10mil nets and that works but you need to use quite some tricks to get it done. I found that 9mil traces with 7mil trace-pad spacing works but it's not ideal. Further, I have looked at the logic of the routing and some times Ultiboard comes to strange route paths. After auto routing quite some routing clean up needs to be done manual. I'm not complaining because Ultiboard does the job for me but I am wondering what your experience is and if there is a better alternative for me without costing me a bag of money :).

Hope to see your advice and responses
regards Oscar Goos

Hi,

I am a professional PCB designer for over 30 years and I never use an auto-router. It takes a lot of time to setup all the rules, the results are "disappointing" and it need a lot of cleanup if you want to use the results. It is nice for a hobby (imho)
So my advise, invest a little time in your self and learn something about PCB design and the software you are using.

btw, I am using Xpedition and the auto router is "not so bad", but nothing beats a good PCB designer !!

Ultiboard is printed circuit board design and layout software that integrates seamlessly with Multisim to accelerate PCB prototype development.
Ultiboard allows you to quickly learn about how to design your PCB and transfers schematic layouts since it is seamlessly integrated with Multism. However it is not a free tool and requires plenty of training to be able to use. As for me, when it comes to layout routing, choosing Ultiboard is recommended. Because ultiboard comes with trace placement that allows for quick and efficient adjustment based on the complexity and the design.

Firstly I'd like to hint to a sticky thread on top of this forum https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...x-software-is-better-than-xxx-software-topicz

It makes a necessary reservation regarding CAD tool comparisons. Comparing specific features can make sense however. I'm not familiar with Ultraboard, but I won't expect the performance of high end professional auto routers offered by Mentor or Cadence from a mid range tool. I basically agree with senilicus that using an auto router requires strict planning and involves a lengthy learning curve. You probably get better along with manual routing of your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back