+ Post New Thread
    Full Member level 6
    Helped
    27 / 27
    Level

In-ear speaker transducers for hearing aids...

How are they made ?
    Do you know links/pictures of how they look and are built ? This is about the transducer only, not the electronic circuitry in them. Curious about its miniaturization and construction.
    Abolish the deciBel !

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator

Helped
    2578 / 2578
    Level

Re: In-ear speaker transducers for hearing aids...

I've disassembled ancient white plastic earphones (the kind we plugged into tinny transistor radios in the 1960's). It's a coil of wire beside a thin metal plate, held by adhesive or double-sided tape. I forget whether a magnet is present. It would make sense for magnetism to be involved to improve efficiency.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    2051 / 2051
    Level

In Google, I asked about "hearing aids speaker transducer" and got many pages of articles, images and history. Most transducers are "balanced armature".
    A hearing aid speaker transducer does not use the awful-sounding earphone design of a 143 years old telephone.

Like home speakers, every design sounds different but audio equalization can made them sound similar.
    I got a few free demos and found that Phonak hearing aids sound good for me, so my government and I bought them.

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 6
    Helped
    27 / 27
    Level

Found that modern in-ear transducers work more like a bellows, sound exiting the 'blow/****' port.
    Abolish the deciBel !

1 members found this post helpful.

Banned

Helped
    2 / 2
    Level

How are they made ? Do you know links/pictures of how they look and are built ? This is about the transducer only, not the electronic circuitry. A hearing aid is a device designed to improve hearing by making sound audible to a person .... Behind the esimilar to a behind-the-ear hearing aid with the speaker or receiver in the canal or in the ear are hearing aids are one of two major classes of hearing aids – Behind the ear (BTE) and In the ear (ITE).

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    2051 / 2051
    Level

In the ear hearing aids do not produce the high amount of sound pressure that over-the-ear hearing aids provide, and have problems with sweat moisture affecting the battery and electronics.
    Due to my normal for my age amount of hearing loss then the over-the-ear hearing aids are needed.

My hearing aids were a new design 4.5 years ago. This year there is a newer design that has a speaker that is half the length of the one mine has (but the length of mine is not visible). I am going to try a demo of the new ones in a few days to hear how they sound and how the processor deals with fidelity and noise reduction.

--[[ ]]--