Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li-ion Battery charger need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxim10373

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A Lithium iron Phosphate battery voltage is 3.2v and capacity is 5000mAh.
what is the charging current if I make a charger for single cell ?
Data sheet said that 1C rating.
if 1C =5 amp for one hour that means a 5amp charger enough ?

awaiting reply

maxim

Hi,

What exactly does the datasheet say? 1C is typical or recommended charge current, or maximum charge current?
(Why don't you post a link to the datasheet?)

Doesn't the manufacturer provide additional documents on how to charge the battery?

Usually Li-Ion need constant current charging, but only up to a given cell voltage (very tightly tolerated), then the current needs to be reduced.
If you don't follow this rule you risk explosion and fire.

There are many documemts from battery manufacturers, charger IC manufacturers, universities on how to correctly charge a battery.

Btw: there's a good reason why there are dedicated cgarger ICs. I'd use one of them.
Many (unexperienced) say they are complicated. But indeed many of them have optimized charging scheme, tight voltage references, power saving techniques and many other useful features included...

Klaus

Thanks for reply.
i have attached the datasheet here.

regards
maxim

Attachments

• 32650 LiFePO4 Battery Spec.pdf
    411 KB · Views: 137

Hi,

May I ask why you didn't read the datasheet?

It is no Li-Ion, it specifies the charging method, it specifies the charging current, which is not 1C...

Klaus

Hello Maxim, there is a curve for 1C charging in the data sheet - but really 1/5 C to 1/3 C is a better charging maximum, i.e. 5/3 amps for a 3 hour re-charge ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back