Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] VHDL of input capture and output compare

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalfra

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, I have some problems with the VHDL code of INPUT CAPTURE and OUTPUT COMPARE.

I did the architecture (logical components) of this two modes but I don't know how to describe them in a simple VHDL code.

Can someone help me, please?

Thanks

These are the two schemes. photo_2019-09-12_17-10-02.jpg

You question isn't clear.
What do you mean by input capture and output compare?

If you already have an architecture diagram post it so we have an idea what you are trying to do.

If you just mean a register and a compare then...

Code VHDL - [expand]
-- register (for capturing)
process (clk)
begin
  if (capture_input = '1') then
    capture_reg <= input_data;
  end if;
end process;

Code VHDL - [expand]
-- a compare
process (a, b)
begin
  if (a = b) then
    is_equal <= '1';
  else
    is_equal <= '0'
  end if;
end process;

Both of these are simple VHDL constructs, which can be found on any VHDL tutorial site. You should probably visit one of those sites to learn some VHDL before tackling this project.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, gated clocks, you should not use gated clocks in an FPGA you'll probably never get the design to work reliably. Make a synchronous design using a single higher speed clock instead of generating a bunch of "clocks" from random signals. You will have more success with the implementation tools for FPGAs if you make a synchronous design.

The problem is that the test of the homework is to describe in VHDL code the scheme that I sent to you!

Theres your answer - it is homework. So you should be researching how to write VHDL, not expecting someone to do it for you.

I searched all the day but I really don't know how to do it, this is the reason why I wrote here, for some help.

I hope that someone will help me.

Yes, i know. It's very important for me to receive some suggestions about this 2 codes.

As I said one hour ago, I hope that someone will help me.

I searched all the day but I really don't know how to do it, this is the reason why I wrote here, for some help.

I hope that someone will help me.
ASIC world has a bunch of examples of various blocks that are used to create larger designs.
https://www.asic-world.com/examples/vhdl/index.html

If you can't translate from the blocks in your block diagram to the actual circuits that are required then I see no point in helping further as what you really need help with is learning basic digital design.

Status
Not open for further replies.