Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In PA, if the bias is VDD then how can swing be 2*VDD with inductive load

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, From the below link I read that when we have inductive load, for example, in CS amplifier the output voltage swing can be (2*VDD), if VDD is the supply voltage

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/common-source-with-inductive-load.90381/

"For the inductive load, the DC voltage at drain is equal to Vdd. And so the maximum negative voltage swing is from VDD to 0V.
And so in order to keep the waveform symmetrical we "limit" the positive voltage swing to 2VDD (swing from Vdd to 2Vdd)." - Copied from comments section.

My question is that could the signal swing can go beyond the supply voltage? I always thought the supply is the maximum limit both including DC+Signal (AC). Please someone explain.

"For the inductive load, the DC voltage at drain is equal to Vdd. And so the maximum negative voltage swing is from VDD to 0V.
And so in order to keep the waveform symmetrical we "limit" the positive voltage swing to 2VDD (swing from Vdd to 2Vdd)." - Copied from comments section.

You have the explanation there.

If you want more insight into such behavior, refer to "Pulse, Digital and Switching Waveform" by Millman and Taub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back