Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding how to translate standards to system requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtheis

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am studying to be an RF engineer. I have good knowledge in RF circuit design (both COTS and IC) because of my University. For instance, I have designed PAs using COTS, LNAs and Mixers ICs with layout, etc. However, in my classes we don't learn how to translate a communication standard to the circuit specification. I know how I would need to distribute them in the different blocks (using Friis formulas and whatnot) I think.

The students have designed for a class an LNA each for different frequency bands, I have designed an LNA for 1.8 GHz (which is 3/4G frequency I think), while a friend have designed an LNA for 900 MHz, which is ISM. I have worked with a PhD student that designed a wideband LNA. Because we have all the simulation results for all the LNAs, I wanted to compare when it is interesting to choose the wideband LNA over the narroband LNA each student designed. To do this I wanted to translate some IEEE standards into circuit specifications (NF, IIP3, etc) and using the same Rx channel (this means the same mixer, filter, etc. that I am not designing, I will suppose its gain, NF, etc. values) compare the narrowband LNAs with the wideband. This would make me learn one thing my university lacks, learn more about RF and maybe generate some research data if the professor likes this. I suppose I could find three type of results:

• The narrowband LNA ensures that the receiver work, while the wideband LNA doesn't
  • The wideband LNA has a worst perfomance, but the receiver works and has a smaller power consumption
  • It doesn't really matter which LNA I use

So now I need to learn how to generate a receiver link budget from communication standards (such as LoRa, GNSS, 4G, etc.) and I kindly ask if someone can direct me to a book/publication/video/whatever that explains this.

I have posted the same thing in RF electronics reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/rfelectronics/comments/d27ceb/how_to_translate_rf_standards_into_system_blocks/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back