+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Class D amplifier simulation

Hi all,

I'm actually playing with LTspice to implement a class D amplifier.

Below is a capture of the schematic and simulation results. Can someone explain me why I cannot get an oscillation of +/- 15V at R1, instead of +/- 2V on the plotted area?

Sounds like a newbie question sorry

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ltspice class D.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	346.7 KB 
ID:	155408

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13826 / 13826
    Level

Re: Class D amplifier simulation

Insufficient gate drive voltage for high side transistors. You are applying 5V relative to ground but 5V relative to respective source terminal is required.

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by FvM View Post
    Insufficient gate drive voltage for high side transistors. You are applying 5V relative to ground but 5V relative to respective source terminal is required.
    Hi Fvm, indeed, high side transistors sources are not connected to ground! I just retried the simulation with higher voltages on high side gates, and it's working.

Thanks for your help,

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 3

Helped
    273 / 273
    Level

Common to simulate with an individual source for each gate drive. Unlike real life there is no penalty for fully isolated gate drive in the simulated. Connect the gate drive source across Vgs.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1208 / 1208
    Level

I wouldn't even bother using real FET models, at least to start. Just use voltage controlled switches in place of the FETs (if your load is inductive, make sure to put diodes across the switches). Simulation time will be much faster. Later when you want to look at switching behavior in more detail you can drop in FET models.

Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by asdf44 View Post
    Common to simulate with an individual source for each gate drive. Unlike real life there is no penalty for fully isolated gate drive in the simulated. Connect the gate drive source across Vgs.
    This circuit is intended to be implemented in real life. What could be the problems of using same gate source for Mosfet Q1+ Q3? (and Q2+Q4). What do you mean by "Connect the gate drive source across Vgs"?

Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by mtwieg View Post
    I wouldn't even bother using real FET models, at least to start. Just use voltage controlled switches in place of the FETs (if your load is inductive, make sure to put diodes across the switches). Simulation time will be much faster. Later when you want to look at switching behavior in more detail you can drop in FET models.
    Hi, actually the load will be capacitive (piezoelectric transducer). Do you also recommend the use of flywheel diodes?

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1208 / 1208
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by vrtec View Post
    Hi, actually the load will be capacitive (piezoelectric transducer). Do you also recommend the use of flywheel diodes?
    Well if the load really is just a capacitance, then no the flywheel diodes don't matter.

Capacitive loads have their own problems though, mainly large current spikes and switching losses. I assume you will actually want to use an LC filter between the FETs and the piezo in order to filter out the ripple. And then the inductance in that filter will necessitate the flywheel diodes again...

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by mtwieg View Post
    Well if the load really is just a capacitance, then no the flywheel diodes don't matter.

Capacitive loads have their own problems though, mainly large current spikes and switching losses. I assume you will actually want to use an LC filter between the FETs and the piezo in order to filter out the ripple. And then the inductance in that filter will necessitate the flywheel diodes again...
    You're right, there will be an LC filter at the output! Thanks for the advices!

Regards,

--[[ ]]--