Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS feedback compensation..origin pole is "pole at origin"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the top of page 4 of the ap-note you specified:

"Offering an origin pole, one zero, and one high-frequency pole, ..."

in the gain plot of figure 4 on page 5, it appears they put the pole "at the origin" at a
convenient place, about 3500 Hz

see
https://web.mit.edu/2.14/www/Handouts/PoleZero.pdf
bottom of page 12:

"Any poles or zeros at the origin cannot be plotted on the Bode plot, because they are effectively
to the left of all finite break frequencies. However, they define the initial slope. If an arbitrary
starting frequency and an assumed gain (for example 0dB) at that frequency are chosen, ..."

so you can choose where to put that pole

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
For the type 2 compensator, it is usually sufficient to implement an inverted zero at fz1 without bothering about fp0. An inverted zero at fz1 determines the slope between fp0 and fp1.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I guess I'm not clear on the definitions here either.

When I design Type II compensators think in terms of the frequency at which the left-most pole slope would cross -3db if there was nothing else going on and call that the first pole frequency. That's not zero, its probably 100-10k for most designs.

Note that the topology is inherently an integrator and any value of caps will give you the infinite DC gain you expect.

Bottom line make sure to simulate. LTSpice AC sim does this stuff easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.