Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Integrated planar transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwieg

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone here done an integrated planar transformer before? By integrated, I mean that all the windings are on your main PCB, instead of having a separate PCB for windings. My PCB is already going to have 8-10 layers, so this seems like an effective way to minimize cost and size. Also the core materials I'm interested in using tend to be in planar shapes, as opposed to RM sizes.
planartypes.png

The issue is mass assembly. I can find practically no resources on how this is done for integrated transformers. The type of cores I want to use (EQ25) don't even offer spring clamps/clips from the manufacturers. Most suggestions I find are either "just glue the things together," or suggest clamping it with custom mechanics. Both sound labor intensive (and introduce possibility for poor yield), and the latter introduces additional costs. I'm concerned about vibration in my application as well, and can't find any real discussion of this.

Anyone have any experience to share on this?

I did one like that but it was very low power......it was because my PCB was connected to a 50khz power bus and had to slowly charge a battery from it...the mech eng guys fitted up the core halves for me.......they used a special sponge with the correct youngs modulus to pressure the core halves together without kind of slamming them....the core was kind of glued into the enclosure on the sponge, and the mech guys made it kind of like a lid, so that i closed the core halves together, and the sponge made the core halves pressured together without damaging the ferrite.......i shoved the windings in the pcb, and sufficient slotting to enable the core halve protrusions to go through the pcb, and that was it...sorry if not too helpful.

I think for high power it would have needed the ferrite surfaces to be fettered, or whatever you call it when ferrite surfaces need to be polished extremely smooth.

The guy that got the special spange (i couldnt find it anywhere on the web) was a guy from a consultancy in Hoddesdon. Ill ask him if you want.
Otherwise, write to these people...
https://www.himag.co.uk/contact_us
...and pretend you will pay them for the work, and ask for details of thow they woudl do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mtwieg

mtwieg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I believe that the frequency is too low to couple two layers that are layed down on two different layers.So efficiency of a such transformer will be so weak..

I did one like that but it was very low power......it was because my PCB was connected to a 50khz power bus and had to slowly charge a battery from it...the mech eng guys fitted up the core halves for me.......they used a special sponge with the correct youngs modulus to pressure the core halves together without kind of slamming them....the core was kind of glued into the enclosure on the sponge, and the mech guys made it kind of like a lid, so that i closed the core halves together, and the sponge made the core halves pressured together without damaging the ferrite.......i shoved the windings in the pcb, and sufficient slotting to enable the core halve protrusions to go through the pcb, and that was it...sorry if not too helpful.
Yeah I know if I made my own clamp, I'd have to put some sort of cushion, maybe like a soft thermal pad. But I was hoping to minimize the number of manually assembled custom parts. That's why simply gluing it together sounds attractive. But I can't find any references to work off of.

The guy that got the special spange (i couldnt find it anywhere on the web) was a guy from a consultancy in Hoddesdon. Ill ask him if you want.
Otherwise, write to these people...
https://www.himag.co.uk/contact_us
...and pretend you will pay them for the work, and ask for details of thow they woudl do it.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that the frequency is too low to couple two layers that are layed down on two different layers.So efficiency of a such transformer will be so weak..
Operating frequency is >1MHz, and I've already tested handmade prototypes which work great.

Expoxy resin is fine, you need a temporary clamp while curing.

Some assembly hints in this old Philips (now Ferroxcube) application note. There may be more detailed recent application notes.

Attachments

• planecor.pdf
    264.9 KB · Views: 187

mtwieg

I did come across that same app note, lots of good rules of thumb, but nothing really specific :/

I would definitely need some sort of jig to apply pressure between the two halves while setting/curing. Could you recommend an epoxy that sets in <1 hour?

The major risk with gluing is affecting the core reluctance. I don't intend to have any gap, so even a thin layer on the pole faces might be an issue. But I'm not sure putting blobs of glue on the outside of the cores will be secure enough...

Although the app note suggests not to apply epoxy resin to the core gap, I usually do to achieve highest strength. As far as I'm aware of, most transformer manufacturers also go this way. I prefer a slow curing standard epoxy (like Araldite), curing at elevated temperatures. Warmed epoxy becomes highly fluid resulting in a minimal glue film.

For smallest parasitic air gap, a dry surface and clamps may be better anyway. With EQ25, this means custom made clamps.

mtwieg

Status
Not open for further replies.