Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

INL/DNL Measurement from Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet123

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to measure the INL/DNL of an ADC designed in Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso.

I understand the methodology: apply an ideal DAC at the output, apply a ramp signal, or a sine wave and get the output and generate a histogram of the output codes.

My question is: how to I generate a histogram of the output codes - that is - a plot of the code vs. the code density (how many times the code appears) in Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso ? Won't it just generate the output What should I make the output look like in Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso - what format - in order to post-process in MATLAB and get the histogram of the output codes ?

Can I use a Verilog-A block in ahdlLib ? Or is their another method ?

Does anyone have a tutorial, reference, paper or thesis that describes this methodology in Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso ?

Thank you.

I understand the methodology: apply an ideal DAC at the output,
Ideal DAC is not required.

My question is: how to I generate a histogram of the output codes
- that is - a plot of the code vs. the code density (how many times the code appears)
in Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso ?
Both Verilog-A and MATLAB are not required.

Simply do postprocessing of PSF data from Cadence Spectre by Cadence Skill language with Cadence ViVA.

See https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?216697

Hello,

Thank you - can you re-post the hard copy of your setting of "ADE>Tools>Monte Carlo"? They have been removed from the original post.

So, basically, the procedure is:

1. Run a Monte Carlo analysis of the output of the ADC. This way you get a histogram of the code outputs and how often they appear.
2. Post Process the data directly using your Skill Code.

In the newer versions of Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso, there is a histogram function - is that useful ?

Once I get this histogram, how do I measure the DNL/INL ?

Thank you.

Thank you.

So, I use ramp or sine wave drive to determine my output and then use your script to turn it into a histogram in Cadence/Virtuoso?

Then I post-process that histogram plot ?

I think Cadence can generate a histogram plot now, but my question is how to create a plot of codes versus the number of occurrences of that code - in Cadence Spectre/Virtuoso ?

I would use test equipment to do Data Converter measurements but I dont have access to them now, I just have access to EDA tools.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Hello,

Your answer is nonsense.

In the future, please answer the question being asked.

That's all.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back