Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cable simulator with lumped components

Status
Not open for further replies.

cariban

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to design a lumped component based cable simulator. This is to save cost for buying long cable. Does anybody have idea how to realize it?

In general it's no possible (simulate all cable properties with a finite number of components).

It may be possible for restricted bandwidth, limited accuracy etc. What's your specification? Which application?

In general it's no possible (simulate all cable properties with a finite number of components).

It may be possible for restricted bandwidth, limited accuracy etc. What's your specification? Which application?

Thanks for the help. I need to simulate Belden 1694A up to 600 meters. The error should be within +/-1 dB up to 6GHz. Do you have any recommended document about this topic?

You can possibly simulate the attenuation characteristic, but not the delay and respectively not the reflections. Also crosstalk and common mode characteristic are effectively out of reach.

Depending on the test purpose, it's better to use a real cable.

Thanks for the help. I need to simulate Belden 1694A up to 600 meters. The error should be within +/-1 dB up to 6GHz.

For these specs, doing it with the actual real cable is by far the cheapest solution.

O.K. Belden 1694A is a single core coax, so no problem with crosstalk or common mode.

Thanks a lot to both FvM and volker@muehlhaus. You two are right, it is difficult to make a simulator matching to real cable with amplitude, phase and returnloss in the same time.
I have manage to make a simulator up to 3GHz for 100m Belden 1694A with 10 realistic components. Refer to the attached pictures for simulated performance.

The purpose of making the simulator is to do automatic production testing of SDI transceivers. Real cable roll will be
too big and heavy. I have constructed the 100m/3GHz simulator on testing board. The attenuation curve matches well with the simulation and we can use it for the testing

loss.pngphase.pngretunloss.png

Status
Not open for further replies.