Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Power amplifier stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabrok

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed class AB Power amplifier for 3.4-3.6 GHz band. When i checked the stability, the amplifier was stable over the entire band (K>1). But for out of band at certain frequencies (0.5 to 1.2 GHz & 3.9 GHz ) is unstable. So, Is this condition will have an effect on the PA's performance?

The amplifier may oscillate-not definitely but-.If K<1, the amplifier is conditionally stable so certain load and source impedances may drift it into oscillation.If K<0, the amplifier will probably oscillate..
Adding resistors at input and/or at output may help you or highpass/lowpass filters can also help to reduce the risk.

Reactions: Mabrok

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The amplifier may oscillate-not definitely but-.If K<1, the amplifier is conditionally stable so certain load and source impedances may drift it into oscillation.If K<0, the amplifier will probably oscillate..
Adding resistors at input and/or at output may help you or highpass/lowpass filters can also help to reduce the risk.

I have added resistor in series and helped in enhancing the stability. but on the other side degraded the gain too much.

I have added resistor in series and helped in enhancing the stability. but on the other side degraded the gain too much.
Parallel resistors are used at input/output or both..Consider also highpass/lowpass filter combination.
There are numerous solution for the stability..

Reactions: Mabrok

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.