Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find a list of good quality brands for DC-DC power supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinds

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Howdy,

I have been searching the internet for days now.. Still not finding what I need..

I am looking for a list of good brands for DC-DC power supplies.. When looking for AC-DC, my go-to is MeanWell and Delta.. I have no clue for DC buck/boost..

Just because the product has 'good quality' in the sales description, does not make it so... lol

Right now, I am leaning towards Pololu, but still can't find positive or negative reviews or tests.

If it matters, right now I am looking for 12v in, 5v and 3.3v out, less than 300ma. Dual output would be nice, but I have no issue with them being separated.

Is there a list somewhere? Does anybody have favorite brands?

There are a lot of cheap crap out there, but not really wanting crap.. I don't want to spend a fortune either, but I don't know what is good.

Hi,

Define "good quality"
It may be
* low noise
* high efficiency
* long livetime
* low EMI
* good load regulation
* wide input voltage range
...and a lot of other things

Or non electrical values like
* audible noise
* nice color
* availability
* price
* size
* solderability

Klaus

Hi,

Define "good quality"
It may be
* low noise
* high efficiency
* long livetime
* low EMI
* good load regulation
* wide input voltage range
...and a lot of other things

Or non electrical values like
* audible noise
* nice color
* availability
* price
* size
* solderability

Klaus
Well.. All of the above I suppose..

Except wide input range is more a particular product selection, colour has no effect on a product..

If I was looking for capacitors, I would immediately say Nichicon, Panasonic, or Rubycon.

AC-DC power supplies, Delta or MeanWell..

I am looking for a starting point for separating out the crap from quality. I don't want to spend a fortune, but will pay extra to get quality..

Right now, I need 12v input 3.3v output 300ma, and 12v input 5v output 300ma, dual output would be nice, but not required.. But this will come up again and again with different values.

Trying to expand my knowledge with a couple new projects..

Hi,

Well.. All of the above I suppose..
Ok, then you are looking for an ideal device.
Sadly there is no ideal device. You need to focus on your most important quality factors.
It's your decision, no one of us can do this for you.

If I was looking for capacitors, I would immediately say Nichicon, Panasonic, or Rubycon.
For others this may be: AVX, Kemet, Phycomp, Yageo, Epcos .... or any other manufacturer.
To me "Nichicon, Panasonic, or Rubycon" seems to be your personal taste.

AC-DC power supplies, Delta or MeanWell..
Why not TDK, Traco, Cosel ... or one of the others?
Again I see just "personal taste".

Without exact requirements the discussion seems to be similar to:
What is the best food?
* The one may say: a good steak
* for a vegetarian this will be a "no go".
* another one may say "blowfish"
* another one may say "pizza"

I'd say: it's personal taste. And is influenced by the region where you live, maybe climatic environmemnt, the application...

One may look for a power supply to run valves for compressed air.
Another one may look for a power supply to run a high end class A audio amplifier.
I doubt they come to the same power supply, I even doubt they come to the same brand.

Klaus

you need to match the requirements to the supply

as you listed capacitor manufacturers, i will list poewr supply manufacturers
these are likely more expensive than what you've already looked at
these brands have been around for a while

accopian
lambda
melcher
bel

But Capxcon, is generally agreed to be a brand to avoid if one wants quality caps.

If three or four people reply with their brand preferences, we would quickly have a list of 'good' brands, others might respond with why they believe a particular choice shouldn't be used..

Would it make more sense if I asked which brands should be avoided? Except there are too many to list, and would be a forever growing list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back