Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you choose input power while doing loadpull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, usually we would like to know what is the output power(Pout1dB) at input 1 dB compression point (Pin1dB). Does this mean first I find Pin1dB and then do the loadpull at this input power? Basically how do I choose how much input power I should provide? Thanks

Yes, you should apply P1dB(in) to do load-pull..Because this point where the nonlinearity starts to become dominant on the amplifier's performance so it's a kind of threshold..

Yes, you should apply P1dB(in) to do load-pull. Because this point where the nonlinearity starts to become dominant on the amplifier's performance so it's a kind of threshold..

Thanks, I am trying to do this at different frequencies. Is there any way to automate this in Virtuoso ADE L?

Why not put in the frequency everywhere as a variable and do a parametric sweep of that variable.

Simply, invoke multiple parameters sweep by Skill language script.

I didn't understand much whenever you mentioned about SKILL scripting language. Now it started making sense to me, I should learn this.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not put in the frequency everywhere as a variable and do a parametric sweep of that variable.

Yes I was doing that, I could get all the Pin1dB points. But now I need to figure out how to run another simulation for loadpull at different frequencies using their respective pin1dB points.

Code:
analysis('hb parameter Pin  )

paramAnalysis("frequency")
paramRun()

[I]save Pin1dB points ..I don't know what to do here[/I]

analysis('hb  Parameter mag and theta )

[I]Use the saved Pin1dB points[/I]
paramAnalysis("frequency")
paramRun()

Last edited:

Although most RF systems are designed for nominal 50-ohm input and output ... Further, the power levels in 4G wireless systems and upcoming 5G ... Q: What's the general procedure for making load pull tests and using the results? ... a dozen among which to choose) with suitable application support in ...

After reading this post https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?386008-Power-Amplifier-Design, it makes me think.
What is the pout that is shown at optimum load , Is it p1dB(out) or maximum power (Psat). As Vivekroy mentioned in that post loadpull gives maximum power for that particular optimum load. Then what is the point in giving P1dB(in) to do loadpull?

The pout for optimum load is the pout you would get if you connected the optimum load (from loadpull simulation) and put in the input power at which you did the loadpull.

It is not necessary to give P1dB for loadpull. For example, for constant envelope waveforms (eg. FM), you give input power corresponding to the point where you get maximum efficiency which can be far from P1dB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back