Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I reduce power at synthesis stage? I cant use UPF, Clock gating or retiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asic_architect

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a RTL to synthesize and PnR with power as highest priority. Timing should just met.
I dont have libs to support UPF or multi vdd, clock gating. I tried retiming at synthesis, but retimable flops are clocked with different clocks.

Tools: Genus, Innovus

Power target after routing in PnR= 20uW
Achieved power after synthesis= 370uW

Could anyone suggest best remedy so that I can get close to 20uW after routing?

Hi,

I have a RTL to synthesize and PnR with power as highest priority. Timing should just met.
I dont have libs to support UPF or multi vdd, clock gating. I tried retiming at synthesis, but retimable flops are clocked with different clocks.

Tools: Genus, Innovus

Power target after routing in PnR= 20uW
Achieved power after synthesis= 370uW

Could anyone suggest best remedy so that I can get close to 20uW after routing?

none of this makes sense. let's start with the basics... why can't you use clock gating?

No. I am not forcing Genus to use ICG. Heres my run details

1. A standard run script
2. See how much power you are getting
3. In the next run, to reduce the power I tried using "set_db lp_insert_clock_gating true" and got that message "libs dont have clock gating cells"

Please let me know if this is the correct approach or what can be done to achieve the power target mentioned in the question. How much should I aim for synthesis stage and how much can I optimize in PnR.

No. I am not forcing Genus to use ICG. Heres my run details

1. A standard run script
2. See how much power you are getting
3. In the next run, to reduce the power I tried using "set_db lp_insert_clock_gating true" and got that message "libs dont have clock gating cells"

Please let me know if this is the correct approach or what can be done to achieve the power target mentioned in the question. How much should I aim for synthesis stage and how much can I optimize in PnR.

try playing with the root attribute lp_insert_discrete_clock_gating_logic

Can you use high Vt Cells if timing allows? This will reduce static power though.

Can you use high Vt Cells if timing allows? This will reduce static power though.

I think he is struggling with dynamic power. Either way, a mix of LVT/RVT/HVT cells will help bring dynamic and static power down. This alone won't get you a one order of magnitude reduction in power though.

Thanks for your response.
I am already using HVTs though.

Yes. I am struggling with Dynamic power (Internal power is 77% of total power).

Power target after routing: 20uW
Achieved power after synthesis: 370uW

Can I bring it down that much during PnR somehow or should I change the libraries and synthesize again?
How much power should I am at synthesis stage if 20uW is a target after routing?

Yes. I am struggling with Dynamic power (Internal power is 77% of total power).

Power target after routing: 20uW
Achieved power after synthesis: 370uW

Can I bring it down that much during PnR somehow or should I change the libraries and synthesize again?
How much power should I am at synthesis stage if 20uW is a target after routing?

Most likely no, you won't come even close to 20uW. But there is so much I don't follow in this discussion... you should be able to use retiming without special flops and you should be able to use clock gating without ICG cells. There is also the issue of power estimation on itself, it is only as accurate as the input vector you provide to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back