Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase Noise Spurs in simulation of clock distribution circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes_s01

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, newer designer here so please bear with me.

I am designing a clock distribution circuit where minimizing additive jitter is critical. I am driving 2 equal length wirelines with two large inverters, taking care to use the smallest resistance metal layer available to me.

This is the measured phase noise at the output of the load.

Phase Noise Plot.JPG

I'm using ADE L and spectre for simulations, and am seeing these large spurs around the harmonics. Given the phase noise is approximately -51 dBc at 100M, I refered to Silicon Labs application note AN256 and determined the jitter due to that spur is about 6.34 ps, which I need to reduce.

I'm curious if someone could explain what might be the cause of these spurs in the buffer/wireline circuit and how I might reduce these deterministic noise components.

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back