Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NMOSFET On high side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asrock70

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I need place NMOSFET ON High side and control it with PWM approx. 400Hz.

Q5 switch 25V to about 8Ohm Load. In device is 50V too.
My solution
Becouse Gate to Source volatge on Q2 is allowed max +-20V.
Zener D1 subtrack 12V On 38V.
If MCU is High 3.3V Q3 and Q4 is On and Q2 is Off On G Q5 is 0V On Source 0 too.
If MCU is Low 0V Q3 and Q4 is Off and Q2 is On On G Q5 is 38V On Source 25V.

Did I miss something?
Is there any simpler solution?

N.png

Hi,

A dedicated high side driver is more simple. Less parts, more rugged, faster....
It needs less parts and it does not need an extra 50V power supply.
That's why it's used many million times every year.

Klaus

Here's the LTspice simulation of a discrete bootstrap high-side driver that requires no additional voltage supply.

Capture.PNG

Thank you for your suggestions
1. Use integrted High Side MOSFET driver.
Why not, but where can I find driver that
- it suffices with supply voltages +5V or +25V or +50V
- have price max aroud 1$
Low cost driver as IRS10752LPBF need supply +10V - +20V

2.bootstrap high-side drive
this is also an option
- but include 7 components as my driver
- the question is how much current will seep through C1
In real is Load heating powered over thermocouple and when the transistor is closed is measured volatge on TC for control temperature of heating elements

Low cost driver as IRS10752LPBF need supply +10V - +20V
If you don't have that voltage available then you can easily generate it from the higher MOSFET voltage using a resistor and a 15V zener along with a filter cap.
The circuit only requires 100uA at that voltage so will require less than a mA through the resistor and zener.
the question is how much current will seep through C1
Why is that of concern?
No current "seeps through" the capacitor but it has to provide charge to the MOSFET gate during turn-on.
The current required to supply the charge for the MOSFET gate at the operating frequency is Q*f where Q is the gate charge and f is the operating frequency.
At 400Hz it will be quite low.

If you don't have that voltage available then you can easily generate it from the higher MOSFET voltage using a resistor and a 15V zener along with a filter cap.
Yes, it is possiblem but,
1xR + 1x zener + 1x C +1x expensive high side mosfet driver
advantages faster switchung time (switching us only 400Hz)
disadventage significantly higher price, higher consumption

current will seep through C1
in real everyone capacitor have any DC leakagecurrent, yes if will be use smal ceramic C , wiil be DCL normally of the order nA but over timem un temperature and humidity can increase . Just yesterday I changed, yes defective C, 0603 with parallel resistance, who drained the 2x AAA battery in a month.

1xR + 1x zener + 1x C +1x expensive high side mosfet driver
The cost of those items is quite low, so I don't see how that makes it "expensive"?
in real everyone capacitor have any DC leakagecurrent,
Normal leakage current is usually negligible, but if you are worried about a pathological case, then the answer to the question is that the amount of current that can seep through the capacitor is -- any amount.

Last edited:

Hi,

You asked about an N channel Mosfet.

May I ask why you don't want to use a P channel Mosfet?

Klaus

Added:
Or the most simple and cheapest solution: use a logic level N Mosfet with low side switching?

The cost of those items is quite low, so I don't see how that makes it "expensive"?
expensive is High side mosfet driver, IRS10752LTRPBF have price about 0,5$ , roughly 2x more than a solution with three transistors.
Or the most simple and cheapest solution: use a logic level N Mosfet with low side switching?
May I ask why you don't want to use a P channel Mosfet?

It is simple, my load is heating resistance in series with thermocouple (if I'm not mistaken Type N 39uV/C) . when the transistor is OFF is measured voltage of the thermocouple.
Why not P mosfet?
I tried three different p mosfet transistors and all have significant Zero Gate Voltage Drain Current and especially this current is significant, changed with the temperature of the transistor (that is, calibration will not help).
I am not saying that it can not relate to some N MOSFETs, but in IPP057N06N3 we did not notice this problem

I tried three different p mosfet transistors and all have significant Zero Gate Voltage Drain Current
How much current?
If it's significantly more than the spec sheet value, then I suspect the gate-source voltage is not really zero.

Hi,

It is simple, my load is heating resistance in series with thermocouple
We can't see this in your circuit.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.