Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Series connection of potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratan22

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have 2 1Kohm potentiometer and i have required 2Kohm. I think can be it work, if i connect it in series but i not sure, can it possible? if it is possible then give some solution and which type of connection will be occur?

Does the value need to go to zero?
Or is it satisfactory to have a range of 1k to 2k? You can do that by putting a resistor in series with just one of your potentiometers. It might be 1k or 1.5k ohm.

Hi,

Why specifically 2k? It's a rather unusual requirement.

Klaus

sir actually my requirement is 100ohm, 200ohm, 600ohm, 1.5 Kohm in digital potentiometer output but i have two 1Kohm digital potentiometer that's why i thought i connect it series but i am not sure it is possible or not if it is possible how i connect it i don't know

Install a switch in parallel with the resistor.
Close the switch to get 100, 200, 600 ohms.
Open the switch to get 1k-2k.

Of course it's possible to use two potentiometers in series. It's handy if you stick labels around the dials, because it's hard to remember which position each pot is set to, and which one should be turned to reach what ohm value.

Another option: One pot dials 100, 200, 600. Make the other pot switchable (the same as if it were the resistor mentioned above), and set it to 900 ohms. Then you can jump from 600 to 1500 ohms with the flick of a switch.

The specification in post #4 sounds confusing. Are you asking for a potentiometer (3 terminal device) or a variable resistor?

Hi,

I agree with FvM.
And the informations sound like you need fixed values. If so, then a couple of resistors and a switch to select the value may be more suitable.

Klaus

variable register.png
yes sir i have two 1kohm variable register and i want to get 1.5kohm resistance to connect in series manner but i don't know how connect it

Hi,

yes sir i have two 1kohm variable register and i want to get 1.5kohm resistance to connect in series manner but i don't know how connect it
As FvM already stated:
A potentiometer is a 3 terminal device, as shown in your picture,
But you talk about a variable resistor, which is a 2 terminal device.

But you may use potentiometers as variable resistors.

Connection:
Input ... to upper potentiometer, upper terminal
Upper potentiometer, Lower terminal --> lower potentiometer, upper terminal
Lower potentiometer wiper --> output.

With this the upper potentiometer is just used as fix (non variable) 1 k resistor.
The lower acts as variable resistor 0 ... 1kOhms.
Resulting in a total resistance of 1k ... 2k depending on lower pot adjustment.
Adjust the lower pot to center position (assuming you have linear pots) to get a total of 1.5k.

Klaus

POT.png
okk thank you sir one question more this diagram is correct or not mince it will be work as per my requirement

Hi,

For sure you may use upper pot wiper terminal, but I did not mention it.
And I did not mention any GND connection.

But your requirements are confusing, thus: the circuit may be correct or not.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.