Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply for rPi in enclosed space

Status
Not open for further replies.

csdave

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
I am building a video intercom using a raspberry pi, and I would like to place a 220V-5V power supply in a small enclosure in an outdoor wall. Since the wall will be exposed to rain and also to direct sunlight, I am wondering what I can do to have a power supply that will not overheat.

any suggestions are welcome.

thanks

Dave

Heatsink with forced ventilation always matters, even on a miniature scale. Note that the biggest ICs are the ones which more heats and you need to take care about them; The raspbery distro has a specific line command that take the core junction temperature whch is an valuable information to be monitored. Although this board was not primarily designed to work outdoor, the RPI have a good tolerance to high temperatures. I put one RPI3 with heatsink and a small fan blowing from far, inside a chamber with controled temperature of 70 degrees for almost half hour before it stop to work. I have also hearded about people who made even more aggressive tests, but I didn't have the courage to get over it.

Thanks for your reply. But how do I implement forced ventilation in an enclosed environment with little or no vents?

Also, I was thinking of separating the power supply from the enclosure where the Raspberry Pi is. Is there any 220v -> 5v supply that does not need ventilation?

thanks

how do I implement forced ventilation in an enclosed environment with little or no vents?
Unfortunately, some questions are unanswerable particularly if you do not provide enough information, such as the expected internal temperature at which equipment will be subjected, have you measured and/or simulated? Also, you did not mention how hermetic the case is, and how much heat will be dissipated by the other board that will be mounted aside; keep in mind that when it comes to heat, geometry and materials used matters, and much. This board was not specified for this purpose, so in this case you will be entering a gray area from which the manufacturer gives you no guarantee that their product will work properly. By the way, you didn't mention whether you added a heatsink or not (there are ultra compact models made specifically for this board), this is useful to spread the heat concentrated above junction ot the ICs, that are the parts that need more attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back