Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SmartScope ZIP 250 Z-axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veketti

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I saved from going to dumpster benchtop measuring device SmartScope ZIP 250. It is complete device except that it is missing Z-axis drive motor and otherwise in working condition. I was told that the motor broke and was sent somewhere so I'm not able to investigate the motor any further. I need your help finding new motor for it. I was told that it is stepper motor, but I doubt as only 3 wires go there, Green, black and red. Green goes to the machine ground. I assume it is normal DC maybe geared motor. How could I find out what kind of motor is ok there and maybe where to find it?

Here is the motor position. Those 3 wires are for the motor.
Smartscope_motor_mount.jpg
Here is where the cable from motor is connected
Smartscope_pcb.jpg

Some more information. There is another connector for the motor. 5 wires: Chassis, one shared wire with Z-axis top & bottom limit switches (NC) and 3 other wires. I assume this is some sort of encoder as the wires are smaller in diameter than the red & black which I assume is the supply for the coil. Any help, even that it is not stepper motor?
motor_wires.jpg

I was wondering if **broken link removed** would work.
Hall sensor GND to the device gnd
Hall sensor VCC to the device last pin (red)
Hall sensor A vout and B vout to the green and white wire (3rd and 4th from the right).

That would leave to figure out or test the hall sensor A and B vout order. Well white would match to that Aliexpress motor cable color.. One other thing makes me wonder, why is the limit switch other side brought to the motor connector?

Last edited:

I got the service manual and it states for the motor to be Type 23, tachless. Did some google search and found that tachless would mean that it senses the speed from motor back emf, so if I understood correctly from the power wire. If this is the case does it mean that no encoder needed for the speed? That leaves me wondering what are the 3 extra wires for the motor needed?

Asked for a new motor for it and it costs a fortune. Can't afford it.

I bought that motor I linked on second post. I connected the power only and it actuates the motor and works. But the thing is that it does not work automatically as it is not getting the encoder data. Now I'm about to connect the encoder wires to that motor, but I'd just confirm one thing. On that second post picture of connector, that red wire (right most) seem to have +5V which I think is the Hall sensor VCC. Counting from right to left 3rd and 4th have 4,2V against ground. I'm about to connect these to motor hall sensor B Vout and A Vout. But I'm having second thoughts as the controller side has voltage that could it actually be correct? I'm afraid that I fry the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back