+ Post New Thread
    Full Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

SmartScope ZIP 250 Z-axis

Dear All,

I saved from going to dumpster benchtop measuring device SmartScope ZIP 250. It is complete device except that it is missing Z-axis drive motor and otherwise in working condition. I was told that the motor broke and was sent somewhere so I'm not able to investigate the motor any further. I need your help finding new motor for it. I was told that it is stepper motor, but I doubt as only 3 wires go there, Green, black and red. Green goes to the machine ground. I assume it is normal DC maybe geared motor. How could I find out what kind of motor is ok there and maybe where to find it?

Here is the motor position. Those 3 wires are for the motor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smartscope_motor_mount.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	155120
    Here is where the cable from motor is connected

Name:	Smartscope_pcb.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	155121

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: SmartScope ZIP 250 Z-axis

Some more information. There is another connector for the motor. 5 wires: Chassis, one shared wire with Z-axis top & bottom limit switches (NC) and 3 other wires. I assume this is some sort of encoder as the wires are smaller in diameter than the red & black which I assume is the supply for the coil. Any help, even that it is not stepper motor?

Name:	motor_wires.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	155158

I was wondering if this would work.
    Hall sensor GND to the device gnd
    Hall sensor VCC to the device last pin (red)
    Hall sensor A vout and B vout to the green and white wire (3rd and 4th from the right).

That would leave to figure out or test the hall sensor A and B vout order. Well white would match to that Aliexpress motor cable color.. One other thing makes me wonder, why is the limit switch other side brought to the motor connector?
    Last edited by Veketti; 23rd August 2019 at 18:21. Reason: More info

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: SmartScope ZIP 250 Z-axis

I got the service manual and it states for the motor to be Type 23, tachless. Did some google search and found that tachless would mean that it senses the speed from motor back emf, so if I understood correctly from the power wire. If this is the case does it mean that no encoder needed for the speed? That leaves me wondering what are the 3 extra wires for the motor needed?

Asked for a new motor for it and it costs a fortune. Can't afford it.

--[[ ]]--