Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Introductory literature on PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikhailFrolov

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone!
I'm about to start learning PLD. What book (or books) which would be a good introduction could you advice?

Hi everyone!
I'm about to start learning PLD. What book (or books) which would be a good introduction could you advice?

Actual PLDs? e.g. 22V10, 16L8, etc?

or are you learning about something more modern and in current use and just referring to a programmable device as a "PLD".

PLDs still exist but aren't used that much anymore. AFAIK there aren't any books on simple PLDs like 22V10s. The datasheet will tell you everything you need to know.

I have Intel FPGA MAX10 – that is what I am planning to work with.

good start
read the data sheet
get a development board and download the software
go through the examples

when you run into a problem,
show the work you did, what the computer told you,
and ask specific questions

I have Intel FPGA MAX10 – that is what I am planning to work with.

So a CPLD, which is much larger than a PLD. You'll probably want to do as wwfeldman posted and read the data sheet, but you'll probably also want to get a book or read an online tutorial on VHDL or Verilog/Systemverilog as a way to write the hardware description of your design. I doubt you want to use some ABEL variant as that is basically a dead end in usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.