+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Will I be able to drive LED with attached analog circuit ?

Hi,
    I have Aerospace customer released analog circuit as attached with output voltage of 3.5V max and output current max 3.5mA.
    Will this drive customer LED placed at 65inch away from this analog circuit unit? My worry is with LED's Forward Voltage and Forward Current. Any things that can be modified in existing design without form fit (PCB layout) changes would be helpful. Earlier design was consider a controller TTL logic and now there is customer requirement change for connecting LED indicator Lamp.
    D1 is reference LED used for simulation.
    R4 and R5 are wire resistance calculated using reference for 26 AWG as 0.134 Ω/mtr ≈ 0.28 Ω for 2 meters of wire.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Azhar

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 6

Helped
    88 / 88
    Level

Re: Will I be able to drive LED with attached analog circuit ?

i think it will work
    but the LED is always on, and there are simpler circuits to just turn on the the LED
    at 3.5 mA the LED will not be very bright.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 4
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    386 / 386
    Level

The LED wiring is not a problem, it will be always negligible with respect to R3
    Form the datasheet of the LED and the value in your schematic I can expect a current IF=2 mA and VF=3 V roughly. With a so low IF the led will have a luminosity of about 1/10 with respect to that at the nominal current (20 mA).
    I can suggest you to use a low current LED. You can have a look to: https://www.vishay.com/leds/low-current/

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4434 / 4434
    Level

It will work but I would use a bipolar transistor in this circuit. My reasoning is that to use the MOSFET as a switch its gate voltage needs raising more than knee voltage above the source pin. In a follower circuit like that, the gate therefore has to be at least 2V higher than the voltage dropped in R1 and the LED.

If you use an NPN bipolar transistor the voltage will only have to be about 0.6V higher. You can utilize the current gain of the transistor without needing so much drive voltage.
    You could also consider reversing the operation, connecting the left side of R3 directly to 5V and using a PNP transistor with it's collector to ground as a shunt across C1.
    Ignore the wiring resistance, it contributes only about 0.1% to the LED current drop.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

--[[ ]]--