Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem about amplifier biasing circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqx

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

For CMOS integrated LNA in this picture, is LD a part of the matching network?

Usually if LD and C1 is a bias Tee, LD should be a RF choke and C1 should be a DC blocking cap. But such large L and C can't be built on chip. So I assume they are just matching network. But why do we sometimes need a bias Tee? If LD is not large, will the amp be affected if VDD is not an ideal voltage source? bias.PNG

Ld can be used either Matching Purpose or RFC.Depends on the Designer..
But if this LNA is a RFIC type Matching is not very necessary due to very short distances in RFIC, Ld in this case might be RF Choke Coil.It does not have to be very large Inductor.

But that's where I'm confused. If Ld doesn't need to be large, why do we sometimes need a RF choke?

Sometime Ld is replaced by a resistor at the cost of losing efficiency of the circuit.
Also there are situations (for narrow band circuits) when Ld is not a choke, but is an inductor which together with the output reactive components (in this case, C1 and C2) is used to make the output impedance matching network.

But that's where I'm confused. If Ld doesn't need to be large, why do we sometimes need a RF choke?
In order to expand The Voltage Headroom.If we use a Resistor, we'll loose Voltage Headroom..
RFC can sometimes be a part of Matching Circuit moreover even Bonding Wires are also be used for Matching Circuit or RFC.. There are many options..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back