Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Master slave connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmykk

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have 2-wire RS485 serial communication with one Master and Max. 5 slaves. All these serial cables from Master and slaves have to be connected inside a junction box. I am looking for a connector which can connect these wires Together for proper communication.

Hi,

What exactly is the problem?
Either each cable hase a 3 pin connector. D+, D-, GND. And all D+ are joined...as weel as D- and GND

Or you have three terminals where all 6 D+ are connected ... and all D- ... and all GND.

Or is the cable the problem: litz? Solid wire? What size? Shielding?

Klaus

Hi
Thanks for reply.
I just wanted to know what is the best possible way to connect these D+, D- and GND together.
Soldering all the wires together won't be a good solution. Are there any specific connectors or terminals which can do this job by just screwing the wires together.

Hi,

You really ask if there are screw terminals?
For sure there are.
They are used for decades of years now and million times every day.

More modern are spring clamps.

Btw: I can't remind to ever have seen soldered wires in a terminal box. Maybe that why they are called "terminal box" and not "solder box".

But I assume I just don't understand what your question or what the problem is.

Klaus

If it's isolated RS-485, e.g. PROFIBUS network, it doesn't necessarily use ground connection. Star connection through "junctions box" is only applicable for lower Baud rates or short connections. Otherwise RS-485 has to be wired as party line topology with end termination.

In automation control cabinets, we use DIN rail terminal blocks for distribution of low Baud rate RS-485 lines, screw or cage clamp type.

Status
Not open for further replies.