Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Embedded Linux Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranayehya

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, All
I am trying to understand some concepts about Embedded Linux and Why engineers use it.
I read this article

[url]https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1277902#[/URL]

and I understand that applications that need server controlling and image processing

Is there the only applications for Embedded Linux or it is used in other applications?

Also why ARM cores are popular in Embedded Linux applications?

Also if there is a book to explain the programming process and interfacing with FPGA, I would be grateful
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

ANY application can use embedded Linux, not just the ones you mentioned. It is popular because it is free and open source, that means you can modify it for your specific needs.
Understand that Linux is an operating system, the platform for launching other programs so it makes an excellent foundation to run applications you write without you having to write all the input and output routines, filing system support and interfaces. It also very modular so you only need to install the kernel and support for the hardware you need, leaving as much space as possible for other uses. It can also run for the most part in fixed memory which makes it ideal to embed in silicon.

Embedded Linux is available for several processor cores, ARM is just popular because it is fast and economical to use but there are very acceptable alternatives.

Brian.

Also if there is a book to explain the programming process and interfacing with FPGA, I would be grateful

For Xilinx FPGAs containing ARM core/s I can recommend you to start with the this free to download eBook:
**broken link removed**

Many of the answers you can get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back