+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Embedded Linux Application

Hello, All
    I am trying to understand some concepts about Embedded Linux and Why engineers use it.
    I read this article

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1277902#

and I understand that applications that need server controlling and image processing

Is there the only applications for Embedded Linux or it is used in other applications?

Also why ARM cores are popular in Embedded Linux applications?

Also if there is a book to explain the programming process and interfacing with FPGA, I would be grateful
    Thank you
    Last edited by ads-ee; 14th August 2019 at 21:21. Reason: Made link clickable

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4432 / 4432
    Level

Re: Embedded Linux Application

ANY application can use embedded Linux, not just the ones you mentioned. It is popular because it is free and open source, that means you can modify it for your specific needs.
    Understand that Linux is an operating system, the platform for launching other programs so it makes an excellent foundation to run applications you write without you having to write all the input and output routines, filing system support and interfaces. It also very modular so you only need to install the kernel and support for the hardware you need, leaving as much space as possible for other uses. It can also run for the most part in fixed memory which makes it ideal to embed in silicon.

Embedded Linux is available for several processor cores, ARM is just popular because it is fast and economical to use but there are very acceptable alternatives.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 4
    Achievements:
    7 years registered Created Blog entry
    Helped
    275 / 275
    Level
    Blog Entries

Re: Embedded Linux Application

Also if there is a book to explain the programming process and interfacing with FPGA, I would be grateful
    For Xilinx FPGAs containing ARM core/s I can recommend you to start with the this free to download eBook:
    http://www.zynqbook.com/

Many of the answers you can get there.
    FPGA enthusiast!

--[[ ]]--