Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Amplifier Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabrok

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For load-pull simulation to extract optimum load impedance. How to set input power ? According to what?

Thanks in advanced

Output Power should be vicinity of P1dB. In fact, there isn't any convention about that because some manufacturers use P3dB some of them P1dB.
Nevertheless, P1dB Compression Point is chosen and Input Power is adjusted in according with that.Because Optimum Load will be used to achieve max. [specification]<interested specification="">
<interested specification=""> [specification]: max Pdelivered or max. Efficiency or max. Power Gain..</interested></interested>

Reactions: Mabrok

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Output Power should be vicinity of P1dB. In fact, there isn't any convention about that because some manufacturers use P3dB some of them P1dB.
Nevertheless, P1dB Compression Point is chosen and Input Power is adjusted in according with that.Because Optimum Load will be used to achieve max. [specification]<interested specification="">
<interested specification=""> [specification]: max Pdelivered or max. Efficiency or max. Power Gain..</interested></interested>

Thanks for the valuable information. Is the same thing is considered for doherty sub-amplifiers (main & auxiliary)? I want to do a correct DPA design, but still confusing about load pull setting such as input power level for each one of the sub-amplifiers

Thanks for the valuable information. Is the same thing is considered for doherty sub-amplifiers (main & auxiliary)? I want to do a correct DPA design, but still confusing about load pull setting such as input power level for each one of the sub-amplifiers
You should drive the PA until the PA enters into SAT mode in order to observe the Efficiency in Main and Aux. Amplifier regions. Back-Off effect in Efficiency can be observed with this method ..

I do loadpull for the main amplifier at two points:
1. Just before the peaking amplifier turns on and begins to significantly do "load modulation".
2. When both the amplifiers are saturated.
For the peaking amplifier, I do loadpull at the peak point where both the amplifiers are saturated.

Reactions: Mabrok

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.